We've collected all the search marketing news from selected posts to the Search Engine Watch blog in the past week, along with recent search-related headlines from around the Web.
From the SEW blog:
- SEW Experts: Tools of the Trade
Mark Jackson recommends several useful tools for running an effective search engine optimization campaign.
- SEW Experts: Waiting for Google to Exhale
Kevin Ryan asks what universal search and refined paid search are really changing.
- Google, Yahoo! and Server Status Codes 404 and 410
Both Google and Yahoo treat server codes 404 and 410 as though they are the same. But they are not the same.
- Yahoo Support for Dynamic URL Rewriting
After years of helping people get rid of Session IDs on their URLs, this is a really great thing to see.
- Tighten the Coupling: Text Ads and Videos
As online videos and their consumption continue ramping up, we should consider this coupling as more than an afterthought.
- Yahoo Adds New Features To Panama
Twenty ads per ad group and the ability to view performance numbers, as well as edit, copy, delete and create new ads, tightens the user experience.
- SEW Experts: Tips for Being a Great PPC Client
Tony Wright tells you what it takes to be a great PPC client, getting the most out of the client-agency relationship.
- Microsoft to Update Trademark Dispute Handling in adCenter
the way Microsoft deals with trademark infringement accusations against advertisers will change starting on September 10
Linking Issues & Social Media
- SEW Experts: The Great Link Buying Debate
Sage Lewis reviews the arguments for and against buying links, which was a hot topic at SES San Jose last week.
- NoFollow as an SEO Optimization Tool
Matt Cutts suggests that you can freely use NoFollow within your own site to control PageRank flow, including on your own internal links, without fear of it being seen as a poor quality signal by Google.
- What People Reveal
The updates you share at college reunions would be different than your chats with daily running buddies. Likewise, your communications on social sites seem to vary too.
Analytics & ROI
- SEW Experts: Segmenting Site Visitors to Enhance Conversions
Eric Enge tells you how to segment your site visitors for actionable analyses that are so important for Web site success.
Local & Mobile Search
- Yahoo, Now with More Local Listings
Directory Publisher R.H. Donnelley announced today that it will partner with Yahoo to give its advertisers more substantial presence on Yahoo Local.
Vertical & Specialty Search
- Keep an Eye on Image Search
Image search is playing an increasingly important role in search engine optimization, and SEOs should develop strategies for optimizing a web site to receive this type of traffic.
- SEW Experts: Crafting a Social Media Strategy Around Travel
Elisabeth Osmeloski tells travel site providers how to take advantage of social media and traveler reviews.
- "Prom Queen: Summer Heat" – the blinkx interview
Grant Crowell interviews Suranga Chandratillake, founder and CEO of the video search engine blinkx, on their partnership with media studio Vuguru, their exclusive broadcast of the Emmy-nominated video series "Prom Queen," and the future of video content and search.
- Search engine to aid diagnoses
A diagnostic search engine is being used at the University of Virginia hospital.
Small Business/Big Brand SEM
- SEW Experts: Scaling Your Big Business Internationally
Aaron Shear tells you what to expect when expanding your business internationally.
- Search and Offline Converge
At Search Engine Strategies in San Jose last week, ClickZ editor Matthew Nelson saw lots of evidence of the interaction between search with other media.
In-House & Outsourcing
- SEW Experts: In-House Vs. Outsourced: What Is the Best Solution?
Chris Boggs ponders the relationship between in-house and agency search experts, asking the question, "Can't we all just get along?"
SEM Industry Issues
- Who Makes Your SEO Dream Team
Rhea Drysdale blogged her SEO Dream Team including many of the usual suspects. Who would you pick if limited to a team of seven?
- The Economist Examines Google
Google is hated and feared by many, as The Economist outlines, but it seems it is their motto of "Do No Evil" that gets people annoyed.
- More Exec Moves at Yahoo
Yahoo, which has undergone a few rounds of reorganization this year, is in the midst of more changes in its ad sales business.
- Scoble Predicts Google Death By Facebook
Blogger Robert Scoble boldly outlines a future search engine combination of Facebook-Techmeme-Mahalo technology that will spell doom for Google.
- New Yahoo! Shortcuts Announced
Yahoo! announced the addition of 3 new enhanced shortcuts designed to refine searches more rapidly.
More from the SEW Blog
- Google Adds China.com As Search Partner
Google announced it will partner with Chinese internet service provider, China.com to provide search results for the site's portal and China.com's search results.
We report the top search marketing news daily at the Search Engine Watch Blog. You'll find more news from around the Web below.
- Google’s 10 Oddest Patents, SEO by the Sea
- The Seven Habits Of Highly Effective Link Builders, Search Engine Land
- Google Victory In American Blinds Settlement Over Trademark-Triggered Search Ads, Search Engine Land
- Paid Search Ads & Trademarks: A Review Of Court Cases, Legal Disputes & Policies, Search Engine Land
- WSJ Online Revamps Small Biz Content for Better SEO, Broader Appeal, ClickZ
- The Facebook privacy and productivity puzzle, Information World Review
- RockYou Integrates Like.com Image Search Into Slideshows, TechCrunch
- Mahalo's Still Doomed, Scoble's Still Wrong, Traffick
- Evaluating Client Search Marketing Readiness, Online Marketing Blog
- Yahoo Video "Onebox", Google Blogoscoped
- Avatar Branding Consultant, Cornwall SEO
- Avatar Branding Consultant, Search Marketing Gurus
- A Good Accountant or a Blackhat Spammer SEO, Graywolf's SEO Blog
- Advanced Linking - Interview With Aaron Wall Of SEOBook.com, Link Juicy
- Ad Blocking: the real issue, Johnon.com
- SES San Jose 2007 write-up, Matt Cutts
- Are You Selling Your Search Data For Pennies, Shoemoney
- Turn "Boring" Into Links Link Links, The Link Spiel
- Search Marketers Bill Slawski and Li Evans Join KeyRelevance, SEM Clubhouse
- The Official Non-Attendee's Guide to Conferences, Search Marketing Gurus
- Three Interviews, Six Interesting Web Analytics Questions, Occam's Razor
- Don’t Ever Offer Great Service, Great Value or a Great Product, Copywriters Blog
Optimising Digital Marketing Campaigns with Search, Social and Analytics
At SES London (9-11 Feb) you'll get an overview of the latest tools, tips, and tactics in Paid, Owned, Earned, Integrated Media and Business Intelligence to streamline your marketing campaigns in 2015. Register by 31 October to take advantage of Early Bird Rates.