Personalization of search results is seen by many including myself as a big step forward to a next generation of search. But will consumers accept it? A new survey conducted on behalf of ChoiceStream, which provides personalization capabilities to portals and others, provides some insight.
Apparently, those who are aged 50 and older are most interested in personalized web search, with 35 percent rating it tops, followed by personalized book recommendations (30 percent), personalized news (22 percent) and personalized travel (21 percent).
Interest in personalized search drops off as the age range becomes younger:
- Age 50+: 35%
- 35-49: 19% (top choice, books, 30%)
- 25-34: 19% (top choice, books, 30%)
- 18-24: 16% (top choice, music CDs/downloads, 45%)
- Average: 21% (top choice, books, 30%)
The survey involved 673 respondents interviewed in May 2004. Here are some other key figures from it:
- 81 percent indicated they would prefer to receive personalized content.
- 64 percent were willing to provide insight into preferences for personalized products and content.
- 56 percent of respondents are willing to provide demographic information.
- 40 percent of respondents are willing to agree to transaction and clickthrough monitoring.
At the moment, the most significant personalized search offerings include Google Personalized Web Search and Eurekster. My article on Eurekster, Eurekster Launches Personalized Social Search, covers both that service and the issue of personalized search engine in general, for those new to the concept.
Want to comment or discuss this story? Come join in at our forums.
NOTE: Article links often change. In case of a bad link, use the publication's search facility, which most have, and search for the headline.
This Year's Premier Digital Marketing Event is #CZLSF
ClickZ Live San Francisco (Aug 11-14) will bring together the industry's leading online marketing practitioners to deliver 4 days of educational sessions and training workshops. From Data-Driven Marketing to Social, Mobile, Display, Search and Email, the comprehensive agenda will help you maximize your marketing efforts and ROI. Register today!