A rumored Google tool to search your computer's desktop became a reality today, a free download available from the new Google Desktop Search site.
I've written (with help from Gary) a long review of the tool for today's SearchDay article, looking at why it is so compelling for anyone who uses Google. In addition, I've done a companion piece on privacy issues people should be aware of when using the tool or rightly, other desktop search tools as well.
There will be plenty of coverage and discussion of the launch from elsewhere, as well. We'll keep a running account of key articles, forum threads and more here. Just keep checking back as the list grows:
- Google Desktop Search Launched, Search Engine Watch
- A Closer Look At Privacy And Desktop Search, Search Engine Watch
- Google Launches A Desktop Search Tool, Search Engines Watch Forums discussion thread
- Google Desktop Search, WebmasterWorld discussion thread
- Google to unveil desktop search, News.com. Mentions that Steve Lawrence, formerly of NEC Research and coauthor of some important
early papers on search engine sizes and overlaps, was the project's lead developer
- Google Drops The Other Shoe - Google Desktop Search Launches, John Battelle's Searchblog, with good thoughts on
the competitive strategy of desktop search as a light operating system and other comments.
- Google Your Desktop, O'Reilly Network: Nice blow-by-blow look at the product, lots of screenshots.
- Google Launches Desktop Search, Search Engine Lowdown: Another nice
- Google expands to computer desktop with new search tool, AP
- Google Unveils Desktop Search, Takes on Microsoft, Reuters
- Google launches desktop search, San Jose Mercury News
- Google Offers Software For Desktop Search, Wall Street Journal
- Google Releases Desktop Search Tool, Washington Post
- Google Search Hits The Desktop, InternetNews.com
- Google search becomes personal, BBC
This Year's Premier Digital Marketing Event is #CZLSF
ClickZ Live San Francisco (Aug 11-14) will bring together the industry's leading online marketing practitioners to deliver 4 days of educational sessions and training workshops. From Data-Driven Marketing to Social, Mobile, Display, Search and Email, the comprehensive agenda will help you maximize your marketing efforts and ROI. Register today!