- Ask Jeeves Buys Bloglines at Napsterization is apparently the source of the rumor, though neither Ask
Jeeves or Bloglines are quoted confirming the acquisition.
- Ask Jeeves to buy Bloglines? from News.com revisits the Napsterization post and notes that Ask Jeeves has scheduled an announcement for Monday.
I can confirm that as with the News.com story we've been told Ask Jeeves will be making an announcement today and are preparing a story to release for it. Due to an embargo on the news, we can't discuss what we've been told unless the embargo broken by someone citing an official Ask Jeeves source.
The Napsterization post notes that the newly launched Ask Jeeves Blog has had exclusive links to Top Blogs and Most Popular Blog Links provided by Bloglines, further signs of some type of potential partnership.
If the move happens, it will leave Google as the only major portal not offering some type of feed subscription service. See also:
- MSN's Third Portal To Gain Blogs; Where's The Blog Search? for a recap of where major players are in
offering blog and feed subscription services.
- My MSN Adds Feed Discovery Support for an update on changes at MSN.
- Yahoo Doesn't Need Six Apart Or Blog Ownership For Ad Purposes on why Yahoo or any other search engine doesn't need to own a blogging platform to fuel pay-per-click growth. There are other good reasons, but this isn't one of them.
Want to discuss? Visit our forum thread, Ask Jeeves Reportedly Acquires Bloglines.
This Year's Premier Digital Marketing Event is #CZLSF
ClickZ Live San Francisco (Aug 11-14) will bring together the industry's leading online marketing practitioners to deliver 4 days of educational sessions and training workshops. From Data-Driven Marketing to Social, Mobile, Display, Search and Email, the comprehensive agenda will help you maximize your marketing efforts and ROI. Register today!