Today's Daily SearchCast covers the restraining order Microsoft won against an exec who went over to Google, the Danish-Canadian dispute over an island that spilled into Google AdWords, a Google patent application on RSS ads, whether Yahoo "sandboxes" new web sites, a way to see Google Maps & MSN Virtual Earth side-by-side, the Yahoo Yammy video awards and other items over the past day in search. Tune-in by listening to this MP3 file, listening via WebmasterRadio at 11:30am Eastern and repeated at 2pm Eastern or via our Odeo channel. Below is more information and links about the stories that were discussed.
- Microsoft Gets Temporary Restraining Order in Google Case has Microsoft with a first win in the dispute
over their former exec Dr. Kai-Fu Lee who now heads Google China. He can't do work for Google until at least Sept. 6 and potentially longer if it's extended until a trial begins in
- Google Ads, a Feud, and a Barren Rock has a patriotic Dane saying small, barren Hans Island near the North Pole -- a barren rock -- belongs to Denmark via ads on Google, prompting a patriotic Canadian to fight back with his own ads. Danish SEW Forums moderator Mikkel deMib Svendsen and Canadian moderators mcanerin, andrewgoodman and Jenstar are still said to be getting along despite the dispute and seeking to broker an agreement.
Patents & Brands
- Google Seeks Patent On RSS Ads covers Google seeking to patent putting ads in RSS, one filed back in
- Google Analytics? New Domains For Those Who Like To Speculate from Gary has some new domains Google has registered, including GoogleAnalytic.com, for those who want to speculate on an Urchin rebranding.
- And Now, A Yahoo Sandbox? discusses forum speculation on whether Yahoo has a first-time out penalty box
for new sites, similar to what many believe Google does.
- Threadwatch Thumbs Up For SEO Book eBook has Aaron Walls' eBook on SEO and search marketing getting a
- Search Forums Roundup: July 29, 2005 has a round-up of interesting forum discussions from across the web, over the past week.
- Google & Search Pulling From Offline Real Estate Ads on reports saying search is pulling from offline
real estate ads and how Google is especially going big-time after that money.
- San Edinburgh & Other AdWords Documentation Bloopers on how changing AdWords help pages from US originals to those for the UK had a few glitches.
Gadgets & Tips & Stuff
A Look at Search Interface Protocols and Specifications is a find from Gary that compares various ways
search protocols or APIs work, though it leaves off some like Yahoo's.
Yahoo Research Labs Releases Redesigned Site from Gary highlights places to find papers and research in data
analytics, search and other goodies and the redesigned Yahoo Labs site.
Goin' Mobile With Technorati covers a new way to search at Technorati via mobile devices.
Comprehensive Blog Comparison Review Offered covers a great review of blog search service by Mary Hodder.
View Google Maps & MSN Virtual Earth Side-By-Side on a cool tool that lets you see maps from both places
next to each other.
Big Brother Enters Top Search Term List In UK on the reality show becoming a top search term in the UK.
- Yahoo Yammys To Honor Online Video Through Contest has Yahoo whipping of interest in its video search service by offering prizes to videomakers.
What's New for 2015?
You spoke, we listened! ClickZ Live New York (Mar 30-Apr 1) is back with a brand new streamlined agenda. Don't miss the latest digital marketing tips, tricks and tools that will make you re-think your strategy and revolutionize your marketing campaigns. Super Saver Rates are available now. Register today!