Bambi Francisco's article: Why Google may need instant messaging offers a bunch of new and interesting stats from Majestic Research about Yahoo Mail, Yahoo Instant Messenger and Gmail.
- Yahoo Mail accounts for 42% of Yahoo users' online time
- Yahoo Messenger accounts for 22% of Yahoo users' time
- Gmail captured 45% of all time spent on Google in June
- Time spent on Google's e-mail service outpaced that of Google's main search function, which drew 90% of Google's unique visitors in June
- Yahoo Messenger attracted about 19% of Yahoo's unique visitors in June and accounted for 23% of total page views
- Time spent on Yahoo outpaced time spent on Google by more than 9 to 1, according to Majestic
Postcript: The Red Herring Article: No Time Lost on Search, has a bit more.
Google generates nearly all of its revenue from search advertising, but search accounted for only 21 percent of the time that U.S. visitors spent on its site during June, said Majestic Research. In contrast, 45 percent of the time was spent on Gmail, Googles beta email service.
This Year's Premier Digital Marketing Event is #CZLSF
ClickZ Live San Francisco (Aug 11-14) will bring together the industry's leading online marketing practitioners to deliver 4 days of educational sessions and training workshops. From Data-Driven Marketing to Social, Mobile, Display, Search and Email, the comprehensive agenda will help you maximize your marketing efforts and ROI. Register today!