Stefanie Olsen does a great job offering a look at several search and info retrieveal research projects underway at various universities in the US.
You'll read about:
- A new research center that's beginning UC Berkeley. Google and other players will be asked to join. About a month ago, Yahoo announced a new research lab at the school.
- Personalized search research at Carnegie Mellon University
- Answer search research also at CMU
- Work at Stanford, "on artificial-intelligence techniques for extracting knowledge from text in a search index."
- Semantic Web resesearch at MIT including the Simile and Piggybank (tagging projects)
If and when I can find some time (I sure hope it's soon) I plan to delve into each of these research projects and report back. I also want to look at other IR/search research projects going on at universities around the globe. Two projects that quickly come to mind are:
- KnowItAll Project, University of Washington Computer Science & Engineering
- Topic Detection and Tracking (TDT), Word Spotting: Indexing Handwritten Manuscripts, and other projects from the The Center for Intelligent Information Retrieval at UMASS, Amherst.
Last Week to Save on SES London Tickets!
Learn to engage customers and increase ROI by distributing your online marketing efforts across paid, owned & earned media. Join the leaders of today's digital marketing & advertising industry at SES London. Find out more ››
*Saver Rates expire this Friday, Dec 13.