Stefanie Olsen does a great job offering a look at several search and info retrieveal research projects underway at various universities in the US.
You'll read about:
- A new research center that's beginning UC Berkeley. Google and other players will be asked to join. About a month ago, Yahoo announced a new research lab at the school.
- Personalized search research at Carnegie Mellon University
- Answer search research also at CMU
- Work at Stanford, "on artificial-intelligence techniques for extracting knowledge from text in a search index."
- Semantic Web resesearch at MIT including the Simile and Piggybank (tagging projects)
If and when I can find some time (I sure hope it's soon) I plan to delve into each of these research projects and report back. I also want to look at other IR/search research projects going on at universities around the globe. Two projects that quickly come to mind are:
- KnowItAll Project, University of Washington Computer Science & Engineering
- Topic Detection and Tracking (TDT), Word Spotting: Indexing Handwritten Manuscripts, and other projects from the The Center for Intelligent Information Retrieval at UMASS, Amherst.
Introducing... ClickZ Live!
SES Conference & Expo has merged with ClickZ to bring you ClickZ Live! The new global conference series takes on the identity of the industry's premier digital marketing publication, ClickZ.com, and kicks off March 31-April 3 in New York City. Join the industry's leading tech-advertisers in the advertising capital of the world! Find out more ››
*Super Saver Rates expire Jan 24.