Today's search podcast covers the new Google Desktop Search with Google Sidebar feature to show web feeds, photos, headlines and other things, an expected launch of a Google instant messaging client, new stats on the most popular search engines and traffic they send and receive, getting more "smart answers" on Ask Jeeves, job search via Google Maps and more.
Tune-in by listening to this MP3 file, listening via WebmasterRadio at 11:30am Eastern and repeated at 2pm Eastern, via our Odeo channel or through iTunes as explained here. Below are links with more information about the stories that were discussed.
- Google Desktop Search 2 Offers New Sidebar Widgets, Outlook Integration & More
on Google's new desktop upgrade complete with a "Sidebar" that shows web feeds, news headlines, Gmail, photos and more.
- Google Rumored To Launch Instant Messaging Tomorrow on rumors that Google
will release an instant messaging and voice chat service tomorrow.
- Hitwise: Google Also Tops In July 2005 & Awesome Report On US Search Landscape
on tons of data about how the various search engines stack up against each other from Hitwise. Google's often strong, but there are surprises such as Yahoo Local getting four
times the usage of Google Local, the strength of image search, how search engine drive traffic back into their own networks and the top query on MSN and Yahoo being...Google!
- Google Top Search Engine In July 2005; Toolbar-Based Queries Grow & Yahoo Tops
There on Google being most popular in July 2005 according to comScore but how toolbar queries are up over last year, now responsible for 11 percent of all queries in the
US -- and half of those done through the Yahoo toolbar.
- Ask Jeeves Unleashes More Smart Answers on Ask Jeeves making it easier to
get quick facts about nations, US states, mammals, popular TV shows and more directly within the search results.
- SimplyHired Maps Jobs via Google Mash-Up on finding jobs through a blend
of crawler-based listings from SimplyHired plotted against Google maps.
- MSN Says We'll Slow Down The News & Feed Crawling on people noticing MSN's
news and blog bot going hyperactive and MSN saying they'll slow things down.
- MSN Virtual Earth: The Video on a funny video done to promote MSN Virtual
Earth internally that makes a new public debut.
- Happy Belated Birthday to Sergey Brin on Google cofounder Sergey Brin
- Jeeves "Beams Up" Special Logo to Honor Creator of Star Trek on honoring Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry's birthday with a logo on Ask Jeeves.
Twitter Canada MD Kirstine Stewart to Keynote Toronto
ClickZ Live Toronto (May 14-16) is a new event addressing the rapidly changing landscape that digital marketers face. The agenda focuses on customer engagement and attaining maximum ROI through online marketing efforts across paid, owned & earned media. Register now and save!