Today's search podcast covers allegations that Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer had a temper tantrum involving cursing and chair throwing over an employee defection to Google, Google launching local search for China, Google perhaps about to increase its index and moving ahead with an electronic payment system, a new bid management tool, when you should buy your brand name, spyware messing with search results, submitting to Technorati's new Blog Finder, Google winning graduates through free pizza, before-and-after photos of Hurricane Katrina plus a people finding effort and more!
Tune-in by listening to this MP3 file, listening via WebmasterRadio at 11:30am Eastern and repeated at 2pm Eastern Tuesday through Friday, via our Odeo channel or through iTunes via this link (or use alternative iTunes instructions explained here). Below are links with more information about the stories that were discussed.
- "I'm Going To F*king Kill Google" - Alleged Ballmer Temper Tantrum on the Microsoft-Google fight over
Dr. Kai-Fu Lee takes another bizarre turn as allegations are levied in court documents that Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer had a tempter tantrum involving chair throwing and a
declaration to "f*king kill Google" over another Microsoft employee Mark Lucovsky departing to Google.
- Google Launches Google Local In China on Google getting local in China as well as a new blog on China
from long-time search marketer Shakil Khan.
- Google About To Increase Index Size? on counts for terms going up for some Google data centers,
suggesting Google's about to raise its self-reported figure and claim a larger number than Yahoo. And forum chatter on PR and link data changes, as well.
- Google Wallet Payment System Seeking Fraud Director? on a job opening that suggest Google may be further
along getting a planned payment transation system going.
- Looking At ClickTrack's BidHero on a positive review of a new, low-cost bid management tool called
BidHero now out from long-time web analytics vendor ClickTracks.
- When & Why You Should Buy Your Name on tips about buying your own brand name in the search engines, such
as to block competitors or overcome "negativity problems."
- Spyware Changing Google Results: Covers the latest program that wants to change your results on Google
to something else.
- Revisiting Technorati's Blog Finder & Listing Issues on ensuring your blog is well optimized for the new
blog finding service offered by Technorati.
- Google's Pizza Ambassadors: Winning Computer Science Graduates One Slice At A Time on a long-time Google
recruitment program that brings pizzas to computer science students at universities.
- Around the World with Google Earth on ways to do even more with the Google Earth software that lets you
fly around a virtual globe of satellite images. Create custom tours, fly a planned route, share data on nature or travel -- even historical tours.
- Post-Katrina Images On Google Maps, Elsewhere, People Finding Project & Wiki Resources on ways to see the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina via Google Maps and many other resources, plus a project to help locate people and additional online resources.
Twitter Canada MD Kirstine Stewart to Keynote Toronto
ClickZ Live Toronto (May 14-16) is a new event addressing the rapidly changing landscape that digital marketers face. The agenda focuses on customer engagement and attaining maximum ROI through online marketing efforts across paid, owned & earned media. Register now and save!