- Stick with an established domain, if you can
- Optimize for your audience, not search engines
- Research target terms extensively
- Design your site with target terms in mind
- Build a search engine friendly site
- Use descriptive links
- Create compelling copy keeping target terms in mind
- Incorporate target terms into your title tags (YES! Each page should have a unique title)
- Ensure your site is link-worthy
- Don't fixate on ranking for one particular term
Plenty of good starting places advice. Need more? Top Ten List Of Search Ranking Factors talks about a list that Rand Fishkin helped get compiled last week.
FYI, Jill was also featured in an About.com interview this week, if you want to learn more about her and her SEO philosophy. Jill's also got an SEO seminar coming up next month in Philadelphia. More details on that here.
Introducing... ClickZ Live!
SES Conference & Expo has merged with ClickZ to bring you ClickZ Live! The new global conference series takes on the identity of the industry's premier digital marketing publication, ClickZ.com, and kicks off March 31-April 3 in New York City. Join the industry's leading tech-advertisers in the advertising capital of the world! Find out more ››
*Super Saver Rates expire Jan 24.