- Stick with an established domain, if you can
- Optimize for your audience, not search engines
- Research target terms extensively
- Design your site with target terms in mind
- Build a search engine friendly site
- Use descriptive links
- Create compelling copy keeping target terms in mind
- Incorporate target terms into your title tags (YES! Each page should have a unique title)
- Ensure your site is link-worthy
- Don't fixate on ranking for one particular term
Plenty of good starting places advice. Need more? Top Ten List Of Search Ranking Factors talks about a list that Rand Fishkin helped get compiled last week.
FYI, Jill was also featured in an About.com interview this week, if you want to learn more about her and her SEO philosophy. Jill's also got an SEO seminar coming up next month in Philadelphia. More details on that here.
Meet Your Favorite Search Engine Watch Contributors
Many of SEW's leading expert contributors will be at ClickZ Live, the new online and digital marketing event kicking off in New York (March 31-April 3). Hear from the likes of: Thom Craver, Josh Braaten, Lisa Barone, Simon Heseltine, Josh McCoy, Lisa Raehsler, Greg Jarboe, Dan Cristo, Joseph Kerschbaum, John Gagnon, Eric Enge and more!