- Stick with an established domain, if you can
- Optimize for your audience, not search engines
- Research target terms extensively
- Design your site with target terms in mind
- Build a search engine friendly site
- Use descriptive links
- Create compelling copy keeping target terms in mind
- Incorporate target terms into your title tags (YES! Each page should have a unique title)
- Ensure your site is link-worthy
- Don't fixate on ranking for one particular term
Plenty of good starting places advice. Need more? Top Ten List Of Search Ranking Factors talks about a list that Rand Fishkin helped get compiled last week.
FYI, Jill was also featured in an About.com interview this week, if you want to learn more about her and her SEO philosophy. Jill's also got an SEO seminar coming up next month in Philadelphia. More details on that here.
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Register today!