Yahoo reported a 22 percent drop in first quarter profits but met the expected earnings forecast. Yahoo profit slumps 22% in quarter from the New York Times has more details on yesterday's earnings call. Search and branding advertising revenue (sadly, they get lumped together) rose 35 percent.
Yahoo also said it had a 15 to 20 percent gain in search queries in the quarter, to counter stats from comScore showing Yahoo is losing share. There's some spin here I'll explore more later this week, when I do my stats review.
The short answer is this. Query growth is up across the board, comScore says. So sure, Yahoo will have a gain in NUMBER of queries. But the share of overall queries, according to comScore, has dropped. If that share had stayed steady, then query growth would have been even more.
Note that in a fast look I did at the latest NetRatings figures (older ones here), Yahoo's actually still looking pretty steady even in recent months. Again, I'll have more on that soon.
Some other coverage:
- Yahoo profit slides 22% Stock climbs 6% after Net company declares optimism: San Francisco Chronicle
- Yahoo results meet expectations, ads seen solid: Reuters
- 1st-quarter revenue up 34% at Yahoo, but profit falls 22%: San Jose Mercury News
- Yahoo profit drops, matches forecasts: MarketWatch
- Yahoo! Makes Numbers, Reveals Search, Streaming Plans: ClickZ
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Early Bird rates extended through Sept 19. Register today!