Below, a recap of stories posted today to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with other items we've spotted but not blogged separately:
From The SEW Blog...
Mobile Operations Expected To See Largest Growth
The Times Online UK reports that Google's mobile division, which is based in London, is expected to "become the biggest driver of new business" for Google. Search on mobile phones, wireless laptops and personal digital assistants (PDAs) are seen as a huge opportunity for many search companies. In Britain, there is a mobile phone for every person, but in some other areas, like Scandinavia, "mobile ownership is almost double that rate."...
Sponsors NBC's Treasure Hunters
I was flipping through the channels (actually, my wife was, I wanted to watch the NBA finals) and saw some people wearing Ask.com t-shirts on TV. It was a new show on NBC named Treasure Hunters. The Ask blog says that Ask is the "Official Search Engine of Treasure Hunters." I did not watch the whole show, so I am not sure how beyond the t-shirts and commercials Ask promoted themselves in the show. Postscript: Got word back from an Ask rep on what took place. Team members conducted searches at Ask for "us presidents" and another for "mount theodore...
Search Results Differ On Mac Versus PC?
Threadwatch links to a blog post named Google SERPs Platform Dependant? that shows how a search for a query on Google, on the same network but on two computer operating systems, can product a different result set. The screen captures documented show the differences between a Mac and a PC....
To "Internationalize" All Products
InsideGoogle reports that Google has asked University of Limerick based in Ireland to help find an "experienced localization guru" to help localize and "internationalize" all of Google's products. The PC World article goes into more details about the job, describing that job calls for an "executive with 10 or more years of product management experience to serve as group product director of internationalization."...
Yanks Sites 5 Billion Pages After Spam Complaint
I covered a DigitalPoint thread which uncovered several domains that was able to rank billions of pages at the top of the Google results within a couple of weeks. The methods deployed to rank the pages seemed to include excessive use of subdomains, cloaking, content theft scraping, alexa traffic boosting and blog comment spam. I listed the documented steps here. Some suspect that Google's new URL handling with the big daddy update allowed "old school" cloaking to begin working again....
Other Things We Read, Didn't Blog But You Might Want To Read...
- Telecom Italia Is Interested In AOL France, Germany Ops, PaidContent.org
- InfoSearch Introduces Video Answers, MediaPost
- Google Sandbox: Fact or Fiction?, ClickZ
- Growing Wikipedia Revises Its 'Anyone Can Edit' Policy, New York Times
- Google Sitemaps, David Naylor
- Web Intelligence Operations: Google Sitemaps is bro-ken..., SEOmoz
- Worm burrows into Google's Orkut, TechWorld
- Indented Second Google Listing - Double Your Ranking Real Estate, Link Building Blog
- Yahoo News Adding Amateur Video and Photos?, Search Engine Journal
- Plagiarism and Google generation under spotlight, The Guardian
- Craigslist Adds 100 U.S., International Markets, PaidContent.org
- Yahoo Hack Day: Pure Innovation, TechCrunch
- Yahoo! Hack Day Recap, Jeremy Zawodny
- "Unlisted" Picasa Albums Listed on Google, Google Blogoscoped
- Flickr: we'll give full access to competitors - if they reciprocate, Boing Boing
- Why is Flickr afraid of Zooomr?, TechCrunch
- 5 Rare & Valuable Link Building Tactics, SEOmoz
- Everything you want to know about the AdSense API, Inside AdSense
- Six weeks to set your time zone, Inside AdWords
- Google Employee on "Web 2.0", Google Blogoscoped
- Video sites grapple with specter of smut, News.com
- Google Censorship Word List [For China], Google Blogoscoped
Twitter Canada MD Kirstine Stewart to Keynote Toronto
ClickZ Live Toronto (May 14-16) is a new event addressing the rapidly changing landscape that digital marketers face. The agenda focuses on customer engagement and attaining maximum ROI through online marketing efforts across paid, owned & earned media. Register now and save!