Below, a recap of stories posted today to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with other items we've spotted but not blogged separately:
No, We Don't Let Click Fraud Happen
We posted earlier about Google CEO Eric Schmidt quoted as saying click fraud was "self correcting" with an economic solution of "let it happen." Those quotes got the blogosphere buzzing. Google's now responded on its official blog in "Let click fraud happen"? Uh, no., to say that Schmidt was talking about hypothetical approaches to click fraud rather than what Google itself does. The post also links to the entire presentation, so people can watch and judge for themselves....
Microsoft: "Enterprise Search Is Our Business" (It's Not) & Google Can't Have
It (They Don't)
Microsoft to Google: Hands off enterprise search from News.com and a similar report from The Register both cite Microsoft Chief Operating Office Kevin Turner declaring "enterprise search is our business, it's our house and Google is not going to take that business." Gosh -- I though enterprise search was Autonomy's business, Autonomy's house. This recent Investors Business Daily article had Autonomy as the "clear leader" in enterprise search, followed by FAST, IBM and then Google. Microsoft isn't even mentioned -- not once....
and Tin Foil At Windows Live Search
What do Microsoft Interns, birthdays, caffeine and tin foil have to do with each other? Well, nothing. But at Microsoft, they have tin foiled and over caffeinated an Intern in the Windows Live Search group. Check out this picture of the Intern sitting at his desk, with his computer wrapped up in tin foil and with 99 cans of Cherry Coke. Why did they do this to that Intern?...
KinderStart Becomes KinderStopped In Ranking Lawsuit Against Google
Kinderstart has lost its case over lost rankings on Google, though the company will be allowed to amend defamation claims relating to its PageRank zero score. If it does by September 29, I suspect that reattempt will go down in flames as well. But the entire case exposes vulnerabilities Google has created for itself with mixed messages over how keyword ranking and Pagerank work....
Advertisers Are Frustrated With Google's New Quality Score & Pricing
On July 7th Jennifer Slegg reported that the new Google AdWords landing page quality score algorithm has been updated. Since then, the effects of the new algorithm have been rippling through AdWords campaigns and digging deep into the pockets of many of Google's advertisers....
Newspapers To Team Up With Yahoo To Create An Online Classifieds Network
Reuters reports on a Business Week article that shows how a "loose consortium of newspaper publishers" are in discussions with Yahoo's HotJobs to build an online classifieds network. For Yahoo, this can help increase the popularity of HotJobs and for the newspapers, it can help them drive more ad dollars, but this time, online ad dollars....
Specialty Search Roundup #7
Another week and another set of specialty databases and research tools that were posted on ResourceShelf during the past week or so....
Headlines & News From Elsewhere
- Dr. Google Sends Pain Relief, Marketing Pilgrim
- Weather Report: Yahoo! Search Index Update, Yahoo Search Blog
- How 46% of SEO?s get away with not buying text links, Jim Boykin
- Wikipedia gets RSS feeds, The Long Tail
- The World Cup- The Internet "Red Card," The Spyware Guide (blog spam at Blogger ranking well on MSN)
- Google Adwords Bot Using Fake User Agent, Threadwatch
- A Week in the Valley: GData, O'Reilly Radar
- Advertising Placements by Industry and Top Sponsored Links, June 2006, ClickZ
- Web Ad Rivals Unite on Net Neutrality Plea to Senate, ClickZ
- Nielsen's TV Moves and Google's Quality Score, ClickZ
- MSNBowling in Canada, SEOmoz
- New WordPress Plugin for SEO, Natural Search Blog
- ExactSeek Releases Search Beta, Marketing Pilgrim
- Daily Show clinches it: "Series of Tubes" is the new "Internets", Valleywag (not search, but you need a laugh on Friday, and Senator Ted Stevens explaining the internet will give you one.)
Introducing... ClickZ Live!
SES Conference & Expo has merged with ClickZ to bring you ClickZ Live! The new global conference series takes on the identity of the industry's premier digital marketing publication, ClickZ.com, and kicks off March 31-April 3 in New York City. Join the industry's leading tech-advertisers in the advertising capital of the world! Find out more ››
*Super Saver Rates expire Jan 24.