Below, a recap of stories posted today to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with other items we've spotted but not blogged separately:
From The SEW Blog...
SearchCast, July 26, 2006: Google Use Of Landing Pages For Ad Rank Raises
Issues; Google Now Reporting Invalid Clicks? Google Parachute (Beta) & More!
Today's search podcast covers issues with Google making more use of landing pages to rank ads; Google now reporting invalid clicks to advertisers; online ad spend expected to continue rising; bailing out of the Google Jet and more!
Search + Social Bookmarking = Diigo
Social bookmarking and search services have been exploding in popularity recently, but I've yet to find one that combined ease of use and flexibility in just the right way. I've been playing around with a new "social annotation" service called Diigo that launched this week, and have been favorably impressed. It's simple, easy to use, but offers a lot of power, especially when it comes to searching—both the web as well as content that you've decided to save. More on the new service in today's SearchDay article, Diigo Offers "Social Annotation" Tool....
- New US
Child Protection Law Might Make Webmasters Second Guess What They Write
Via Threadwatch, Congress spanks naughty sex sites from News.com covers how the US is likely to gain a new law making it illegal to send people to porn by using misleading text....
Safety Instructions For The Google Jet
InsideGoogle spotted a funny write up from the Seattle Times called Google founders eager to take users for a ride. I'll quote the piece InsideGoogle quoted: I'm now required by the Federal Aviation Administration to give the following safety instructions, because our aircraft is in beta and always will be:...
Toolbar Look-Alike Installing Malicious Programs
Search Engine Journal reports on a SurfControl release that fake Google Toolbars are being downloaded unknowingly and causing those computers to be contaminated with malicious programs. The programs then use the computers to send out mass-email spam and/or for "internet attacks." So be careful where you download your toolbars....
Ad Spend 9% Of All Ad Spend By 2011
ClickZ reports on a JupiterResearch report that online advertising spend is projected to snag up nine percent of the total advertising pie by 2011. They estimate that $25.9 billion in revenues will be spent on online ads by 2011, "rising at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 11 percent over the next five years." For search marketers, 43 percent of the online ad spend will be search-based ads, accounting for $11.1 billion by 2011....
AdWords Now Reporting Invalid Click Rates
Google is now offering AdWords advertisers the ability to see how many invalid clicks that Google catches before they are billed. "Estimating invalid clicks" from the Official Google Blog has more about this good move, which should help to better educate advertisers....
Redesigns Local CityGuides
Thanks to Gary Price for pointing out that AOL has launched a beta redesign of its popular CityGuides. Here's the current version of the site for New York and here's the new beta version of the same city site. Of the more than 300 CityGuides AOL offers, the top 25 are part of the new beta. Among the upgrades and improvements are a visually richer interface, more imagery, more dynamically generated content and more community features. Gary also points out that AOL's Moviefone and CityGuides have also been added to the AOL mobile application....
Headlines & News From Elsewhere
- Google News: What Responsibility?, Searchblog
- Google Domain Names: Recently Registered and/or Transferred, ResourceShelf
- Cracking the social network code, MarketWatch
- The EBay Ad Search Game, Google Blogoscoped
- Power outlets in airports wiki, Boing Boing
- Google-like process for mammogram images speeds up computer's second opinions, Hindu News
- Yahoo! Adds "Save To My Web" Feature to Yahoo! Directory, Search Engine Roundtable
- US citizens avoid tailbacks with new Google traffic tracker, The Register
- Field Notes From The GooglePlex, GigaOm
- Yahoo to Rank Feeds with Yrank?, Micro Persuasion
- ToolUrl Spouts Invaluable Blog Data for PR Pros, Micro Persuasion
- Fake Google Toolbar Spreading Viruses, Search Engine Journal
- Updated Yahoo! Search SDK Available, Yahoo Search Blog
- Timberlake on Yahoo!, Yahoo Launch
- Search & ad:Tech Chicago, iMedia Connection
- Bratton Makes Way for New Chair at ad:tech, ClickZ
- Shawn Hogan of Digital Point Battles the MPAA, Threadwatch
- Why Google's Still Gaga for AMD. SEO BlackHat
- Google Boeing, InsideGoogle
Early Bird Rates have been extended!
June 12-14, 2013: Join industry experts at SES Toronto for a crash course in the latest strategies in Online Marketing and Advertising.
Save $300 when you register by Thursday, May 23.