Below, a recap of stories posted today to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with other items we've spotted but not blogged separately:
From The SEW Blog...
SearchCast, July 28, 2006: Google Class Action Suit Over Click Fraud Settled;
Google Radio Ads; Anti-Phishing Protection In Search Results & More!
Today's search podcast covers the class action lawsuit settlement against Google over click fraud getting final approval; Google ramping up radio ad testing; putting anti-phishing warnings into your search results; ranking woes and more!
TrustWatch Extension Puts Phishing Warnings Into Google, Yahoo & MSN Results
Using Firefox or Flock? Now you can get an extension from TrustWatch that will may help you spot phishing scams in your search results at Google, Yahoo and MSN....
Testing Radio Ad Sales In Detroit
Google rides the radio waves, from News.com looks at how Google AdSense for radio is now being tested in Detroit, before a planned rollout of the program to all Google advertisers. Technically, Google's been running radio ads ever since it acquired dMarc Broadcasting in January. It's not like dMarc stopped doing what it was already doing when Google bought it. The real change is that Google is integrating the ability for any existing advertiser to make radio ad purchases on a bid basis. For more on Google's radio plans, see Googleplex Irvine & "AdSense Audio" For Radio Ads and Speculation:...
Guess, Google Real Estate - New Google Coming Services Found?
Via Google Blogoscoped, What's in Google's Sandbox? from Tony Ruscoe has him stumbling upon new services that Google may plan to release such as Google Events, Google Real Estate Search and "Google Guess."...
Hands Over Email In Hate Case
Feds Retrieve Google Records after Gmail Used for Hate Speech from eWeek covers how the US FBI asked for and was given an email and some session information from someone accused of sending a threatening letter to the NAACP....
Click Fraud Settlement Approved
Download fileJust got word from Google that the settlement in the class action lawsuit over click fraud has been approved. I'm dashing out, so this is just a short post to give you a heads-up. So far, I haven't seen any news stories on it. Settlement is here (PDF file), the $30 million in attorney fees is approved, apparently around 500 companies choosing to opt-out. I'll postscript more tomorrow or do a fresh post when stories appear. Google statement: We're pleased Judge Griffin has affirmed the settlement as appropriate and fair to advertisers. We look forward to continuing to manage...
Drives Searchers to Buy Cars?
The automotive industry is the largest player in the search world, in both natural search engine optimization and in the paid search arena. Until recently, auto manufacturers weren't a major presence in search results, with most search marketing campaigns conducted by independent aggregators who focused on providing quotes, helping consumers locate dealers and so on. Recently, however, the major manufacturers have begun to flex their search muscles, much to the consternation of aggregators, who are feeling crowded. A new study from Yahoo and comScore looked at searcher behavior in the automotive sector, analyzing activity, user preferences, and how purchases were...
Headlines & News From Elsewhere
- One Of The Best SEO Tools [mod rewrite] Now The Biggest Security Risk, Threadwatch
- Weather Report - The New Yahoo! Search Crawler (Slurp) Is Here!, Yahoo Search Blog
- Debut: Meta Search Shopping + Preemptive Search Service: ShopEasier.com, ResourceShelf
- Interview: Bill Gross, Searchblog
- Google's Two Word Keyword Filter?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Jupiterimages' New Image Search Engine, Alan Meckler
- New Google Talk Features: File Transfer and More, Google Blogoscoped
- Yahoo Launches Messenger 8 With 180 Plugins, TechCrunch
- Stock Prices and the Future of Search, ClickZ
- Visual Similarity Search Engine Finds Images According To Your Specs, Robin Good
- White Hats who Need a Hug, SEO BlackHat
- Sphere Nails Long Terms Deal With About.com, TechCrunch
- coComment introduce a crawler to track conversations, Currybetdotnet
- Google launches open-source repository, News.com
- Young Coders Summer on Google, Wired News
- AdWords 101: Setting up a campaign (Part 1 of 2), Official Google Inside AdWords Blog
- Keyword Focused RSS Alerts Delivered via SMS, IM, or Email: ZapTxt.com, ResourceShelf
- Microsoft Recaps adCenter at Analysts Day, ClickZ
- Google Radio Ads Running In Detroit; Full Launch in 3 Months, paidContent.org
- 3 Ways to Immediately Increase Search Engine Traffic, Performancing
Introducing... ClickZ Live!
SES Conference & Expo has merged with ClickZ to bring you ClickZ Live! The new global conference series takes on the identity of the industry's premier digital marketing publication, ClickZ.com, and kicks off March 31-April 3 in New York City. Join the industry's leading tech-advertisers in the advertising capital of the world! Find out more ››
*Super Saver Rates expire Jan 24.