Below, a recap of stories posted today to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with other items we've spotted but not blogged separately:
From The SEW Blog...
- Orkut Causing Trouble In Brazil Again
Komfie Manalo reports that Brazil has threatened to bring Google to court over their social networking application, Orkut, again. Yesterday, the Federal Prosecution Service of Brazil, said Google refused "to cooperate with authorities about user information" on Orkut. Google said in the past that they would work with Brazilian officials to shut down Orkut communities that were participating and helping criminals traffic drugs and distribute pedophilia. Google says they have cooperated with Brazilian authorities, stating, they have "provided information to eight investigations, and kept secret information regarding 60 other cases since June."...
- Yahoo Partners With Go2 For Mobile Search Ads
Forbes reports that Yahoo has signed an agreement with Go2, a mobile Yellow Page directory service, to offer Yahoo sponsored search listings on the search results displayed on the mobile Go2 results. The Wall Street Journal has a bigger write up on cell phones and ads, stating, "some of the largest wireless companies in the U.S. are starting to allow advertising on their cell phone networks." But don't worry, "no major carrier is talking about displaying ads on home pages or while customers are making calls." You will most likely see ad integration in the form of the Yahoo &...
- Google WiFi Hits Mountain View For Free
Google is providing a free WiFi network under "GoogleWifi" (802.11b/g) in Mountain View, CA. Anyone can use it, including business, visitors and the 72,000+ residents. You must sign into the network with your Google Account, it is not fully public in that sense, but anyone can register for access. Ready to get started using GoogleWifi? There are more details on the "how to" at http://wifi.google.com/support and at the Google Blog. I believe this is the first of many cities that Google will be providing free Wifi access to....
- 101 Ways To Build Links & Popularity
Andy Hagans and Aaron Wall have compiled a list of 101 Ways to Build Link Popularity in 2006. I will not attempt to summarize all 101 tactics here, check out the list at SEO Book....
- Yahoo Releases Yahoo Answers API
The Yahoo Search Blog announced the release of the Yahoo Answers API. The API will allow developers to pull questions from the Yahoo Answers database by search, category, and user. You can even get the answers for those questions. More details at http://developer.yahoo.com/answers/....
- Yahoo Class Action Settlement Information Released
Details of the Yahoo class action settlement have been posted at checkmatesettlement.com. What you need to know right now is: (1) You have until October 14, 2006 to submit a written statement requesting exclusion from the Class (specific guidelines are enclosed in the notice), if you want to be excluded from the class. (2) You have until November 20, 2006 to download the "Assertion of Right to Participate in Additional Claims Review Process Form" from this site and submit it by registered or certified mail, if you want to participate in the class and participate in the claims review process....
- More than Organizing Photos? Google Acquires Neven Vision
Adrian Graham, Picasa's Product Manager, made a post Tuesday morning on the Official Google Blog titled A better way to organize photos? in which he announced that the team at Neven Vision has now joined Google. His post tells us that Neven Vision's software will make it easier for people to find and organize their photos. But, is there more to the purchase? Looking around some blogs that discussed the acquisition holds hints to possibily more....
- A Guide to Social Search Players
In yesterday's SearchDay article, What's the Big Deal With Social Search?, I looked at some of the pros and cons of adding human influences to algorithmic search results. In today's SearchDay article, Who's Who in Social Search, I map out the various approaches to social search and offer links to some of the key players in human-mediated search....
- Beam Them Engineers Up, Google
Google's boldly going where no one has gone before....in search of engineers at the 5th Annual Official Star Trek Convention next week in Las Vegas. Google's going to have a booth and presence at the event, I'm told by a friend who knows. Apparently, many of Google's engineers already attend Trek conventions, so it's fertile recruiting ground. So far, I see nothing about Google on the convention site. But Google Operating System noted yesterday how Google SketchUp is already doing a cross-promotion. Have fun at the con, anyone who's going. Wish it were me! Of course, going to WorldCon in...
- Google Analytics Opens to Everyone - No Invitation Required
Google announced today that the popular Google Analytics is now instantly available to the public. No more waiting for invitation codes. Anyone with a website can now install the website tracking tool by directly signing up at the Google Analytics homepage, or by clicking through the "Analytics" tab in any Google AdWords account.
Headlines & News From Elsewhere
- Amazon Releases Search Suggestion Tool Powered by User Recommendations, ResourceShelf
- 2nd Tier Social Bookmarking Sites, Performancing
- Google Video, YouTube and MySpace Vids: An Update, Bill Tancer - Hitwise
- Pharma to Spend More on Online Advertising, MarketingVOX
- AOL buys online video game review site, Reuters
- Google Talk Adds Voice Mail, File Sharing, GigaOM
- SEO Blog Search, SEO Scoop
- It's Official: Web Users Like Search Ads!, Frog Blog
- Interview mit Matt Cutts, seoFM (listen to English podcast)
- Google Checkout Bug: Shopping Cart Icons Shown on All Ads, Search Engine Roundtable
- Social Networks gaining on Top Portals, Compete
- "Spam is Often About Excess" Says MSN Search, Search Engine Roundtable
- Web Searches Go Low-Tech: You Ask, a Person Answers, Washington Post
- Digg this: A video treasure trove, News.com Video
- Introduction to Social Media Optimization, Pro Net Advertising
- SEO Man of the Month Nominations, Cre8pc
- Google Becomes Transparent on AdWords Exchange Rates After Danny Tells Eric Schmidt, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Talk marks first year with upgrade, News.com
- Referrals around the world, Inside AdSense
- Google: #13 Website In Impact, Inside Google
- Google: Desperately Seeking Shoppers?, Motley Fool
- Google Checkout PHP Kit, Google Blogoscoped
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Register today!