Below, a recap of stories posted today to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with other items we've spotted but not blogged separately:
From The SEW Blog...
SearchCast, August 18, 2006: Google Execs Selling Stock; Washington Post
Selling Text Links; Honestly, It's Go Ogle Checkout Not Google Checkout &
Today's search podcast covers Googler execs selling stock but not buying; is the Washington Post's new text links ad program for bloggers heading for problems with search engines?; goodbye to some old-school blog search engines; another click fraud lawsuit filed against Google; Google gains googlecheckout.com from someone who was planning the so-called "Go Ogle Checkout" dating site and more!
Washington Post Selling Text Links?
Click Fraud Lawsuit Filed Against Google, But Does It Even Have A Chance?
Third Time's a Charm? Google Sued for Click Fraud (Again) from eWeek covers Google being sued for click fraud again. This follows on the recent settlement in the Lane's Gifts class action click fraud case, a settlement that makes it questionable whether this new case will even succeed....
For GoogleCheckout.com & More Google Complaints Against Others Who Registered
Google-Like Domain Names
ResourceShelf has compiled sources of historical complaints Google has issued to those who have registered Google-like domain names....
Quietly Drops Google Checkout Due To A "Particular Issue"
MarketWatch reports that Levi Strauss & Co.'s has dropped the Google Checkout option from Levi.com, their main web site. Steve Davis, from the firm that Levi used to integrated Checkout, said they dropped it from Levi.com due to a "particular issue," which was not disclosed (as far as I can tell). What is important to note is that Levi Strauss left Google Checkout on the dockers.com web site, so that issue couldn't of been a huge one or even a global issue (I suspect). I personally have yet to implement Google Checkout on any site, so I cannot speak from...
- More On
Google's Warp Speed Run Into The Star Trek Convention
I wrote earlier about how Google was going to be hunting for engineers at the 5th Annual Official Star Trek Convention this week in Las Vegas. Now more news about that and more....
Only Have Sold GOOG Stock - Cause Of Drop In Stock Price?
Bloomberg has a very interesting report on why they believe Google's stock has been falling this year, down about 7 percent this year. They say that Google's executives have sold off a boatload of stock since the IPO....
Data Refresh: More Supplemental Results?
Wednesday night, Thursday morning, forum threads starting popping up about a Google "data refresh" taking place. A data refresh is like a small Google update, and many webmasters have noticed a change in the search results at Google. Google has not yet confirmed that there has been an update, nor has there been a ton of discussion on the topic, as of yet. That is why I believe this is a "data refresh" and not a full fledge algorithmic change. Part of the data refresh seems to have put many pages into the supplemental index, an index that no webmaster...
- Aug. 18,
2006 Search News Forecast: Sunny!
After reviewing Techmeme, scanning over 100 feeds and consulting with Barry Schwartz on search forums activity, the official Search Engine Watch Blog forecast for search news today is sunny.
Forums Roundup: August 18, 2006
Today's SearchDay, Search Engine Forums Spotlight, features our weekly links to this week's hot topics from search engine forums across the web:Google Buys Neven Vision to Boost Photo Management - Biggest Misconceptions People Have About SEO - Importance of Fresh Links - Kanoodle & Moniker: What unique strengths and assets do they bring together? and more....
Headlines & News From Elsewhere
- Yahoo Easter Egg, Google Blogscoped
- Amazon.com's Movie Service: Now Called “Unbox Video” Or “Lumiere”?, PaidContent.org
- DeWitt leaves A9, Niall Kennedy
- Yahoo founder Filo to sell more shares, News.com
- Google IPO faced close scrutiny, MarketWatch
- 10 things you should be monitoring, Pronet Advertising
- Google mislays Tibet, The Register
- Colbert on AOL Debacle (Video), Google Blogoscoped
- Google Video: No Tube of Plenty, BusinessWeek
- Is Yahoo Answers Really The Answer, ABC News
- Washington Post Launches Blogroll Ad Network, Micro Persuasion
- Advertising Placements by Industry and Top Sponsored Links, July 2006, ClickZ
- Google's Writely released; will another sector be squashed?, TechCrunch
- CSS Optimization: Make Your Sites Load Faster for Free, Blogging Pro
- No Need to Seed: IVN to Spark Viral Videos with Paid Placement, ClickZ
- New features for YouTube, Download Squad
- Create an Email Blacklist in Gmail, Google Operating System
- Are Ad Networks & Rep Firms Different?, iMedia Connection
- Building More Effective "Contact Us" Pages, ClickZ
- The Click Fraud Conundrum, ClickZ
- The IAB's Make-or-Break Moment, ClickZ
- The Secret Group-Digging Conspiracy, Performancing
- Warning: Do Not Use Google Sitemaps!!, Threadwatch
- Google's Own Executives Rate the Shares `Sell': Mark Gilbert, Bloomberg
- Database of Public and Private Schools, Google-Mapped, ResearchBuzz
- Yahoo! Autos digging for feedback, Niall Kennedy
- Rewriting Digg feeds using Atom 1.0, Niall Kennedy
- Levi's Thinks Google Checkout is Pure Pants [not good, to non-British speakers], Threadwatch
- Changes and New Data Made to U.S. Census FactFinder Database, ResourceShelf
- Update: Hoover's 100: Most Searched For Companies on Hoovers.com; New: Hoover's Leadership 100, ResourceShelf
- Del.icio.us Adds Thumbnails and Search Advertisements, Search Engine Journal
- SES and Google Dance 2006 (Video), Google Blogoscoped
- Top 11 Reasons SEO is Better Than PPC, Stuntdubl
- Click Rate for Top 10 Search Results, Jim Boykin
- Can Subdomains Violate a Trademark?, ClickZ
- Omgili, a new discussion forum search engine, Pandia
What's New for 2015?
You spoke, we listened! ClickZ Live New York (Mar 30-Apr 1) is back with a brand new streamlined agenda. Don't miss the latest digital marketing tips, tricks and tools that will make you re-think your strategy and revolutionize your marketing campaigns. Super Saver Rates are available now. Register today!