Below, a recap of stories posted today to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with other items we've spotted but not blogged separately:
From The SEW Blog...
Mid-August 2006 Search News Recap Posted
If you're a Search Engine Watch member, the latest edition of Search Engine Update newsletter has been posted. It recaps top stories in search from the first part of this month....
SearchCast, August 23, 2006: Is Google Bad For Other Businesses? Will Brazil
Close Google's Offices There? Isn't Yahoo Coupon Finder Cool? And More!
Today's search podcast covers whether Google is too dominant over businesses? Will Brazil close Google's offices there in a data dispute? Is Yahoo's coupon finder the coolest thing?
Researchers Debate Whether To Study The AOL Data
When the AOL privacy case broke earlier this month, I wrote about how the intention of releasing the data was honorable despite the ineptness of how it was done. Those trying to research search behavior have been starved for decent data. Researchers Yearn to Use AOL Logs, But They Hesitate from the New York Times covers this in more detail, about how the existing data sets out there are nearly 10 years old....
Google & Yahoo Make Tiny Gains In July 2006
Today I look at figures from Hitwise, as part of my series on search engine rating figures that have recently been released and how to analyze them. For those just tuning in, on Monday, I covered comScore stats showing a Google decline in July 2006. On Tuesday, I talked about NetRatings also showing a decline, but a smaller one than comScore. The main point in both of those articles was to stress the need to look at data over a longer period of time than month-to-month and to examine figures from multiple services....
- Gmail In
Reuters reports that Google is releasing a localized Japanese-language version of Gmail in Japan today. I cannot find the URL to access it as of yet, but hopefully it will be announced shortly....
Releases Google Base API
The Google Code blog announced that Google Base now has an API. You can access the API's details at http://code.google.com/apis/base/. The API is like other APIs in that you can now program your own applications to interact and interface with Google Base. So with this API you can create new Google Base data, edit, delete existing data, and query for data items. This can come in handy for retailers or anyone who wants data to be found within Google Base....
Dominance Of Big & Small Companies
Fortune has a nice write up they named "How Google can make - or break - your company." Not only does this article go over how Google can break a small online retailer who depends on organic results, but also how they can break large firms like travel agencies, newspapers, realtors, advertising firms and software makers (even Microsoft). The article makes a good read if you have the time. If you have more time, also read Google Sees Content Deals As Key to Long-Term Growth at the Wall Street Journal, which explores more of Google's future and how you may...
Partners With Microsoft In Ad Deal
The New York Times reports that Microsoft is to provide and sell banner ads and sponsored ads on FaceBook, a popular social networking site "aimed primarily at college students." The ads will be "graphical ad placements as well as automated text-based advertisements targeted to content, and over time, aggregate user behavior on an anonymous basis." The Facebook deal is for three years and is at a smaller scale to Google's MySpace deal....
To Party At Worldcon: Shiny!
Man. I wrote earlier of Google doing a recruitment and PR push at the Star Trek Convention last week. I joked about wishing I could go to that and this week's Worldcon. Today, Google writes that it will be at Worldcon, recruiting and throwing a party as well. And they semi-taunt me about going in the post. Have a great time, everyone who is going. It'll definitely be shiny....
- Aug. 23,
2006 Search News Forecast: Mostly Sunny!
It's mellow. Techmeme's mellow, my feeds are mellow, the search news feels calm. The Google-Brazil thing is getting more chatter, and the Microsoft-Facebook deal's also getting chatter, and I'm sure some other items will come up. But I cautiously predict it will be mostly sunny in terms of search news. Go ahead, start those vacation and holiday plans early. Remember, predicting search news is never perfectly accurate, and search weather can change unexpectedly. Stay tuned to the Search Engine Watch Blog, and we'll keep you updated on weather changes throughout the day. Icon still borrowed from Yahoo Weather, until...
Adds Coupon Shortcut, Making Finding Coupons Easy
Adam Viener of ReveNews.com discovered a Yahoo! Shortcut which gives searchers quick and easy access to coupon codes. Adam highlighted a search for kodak gallery coupon codes. Here are some other examples: circuit city coupon, vistaprint coupon, netflix coupon code, and dell coupon code. This is a great service for consumers who are spared the trouble of weeding through creatively written sponsored listings and pages of organic listings claiming to have the best coupons and then returning out of date deals. This is also a potential win for Yahoo! as affiliate revenue can add up pretty quickly....
Keynote Conversation, Part Two
Today's SearchDay article, CEO Schmidt: "Many People are Very Happy with Google Search", continues Andrew Goodman's coverage of Danny Sullivan's keynote conversation with Google's chief executive that began with yesterday's Google CEO Maps Missions, Stays on Message....
Headlines & News From Elsewhere
- Ask.com Explains Smileys, Google Blogoscoped
- Backupr: backup your Flickr photos to DVD for free. TechCrunch
- How Google Could Stop Adsense Arbitrage, SEO BlackHat
- The Politicos Still Don't Get It, Search Engine Guide
- Analytics: You Can't Afford NOT to Track, Search Engine Guide
- Google Talk's Birthday Logo, Google Operating System
- What Will Excite Google Investors Next?, Associated Press
- How Do You Estimate the Size of A Search Engine?, SEO By The Sea
- New Google Patent Hints at Direction of Social Search, Google Watch
- Google looks at Query Themes and Reranking Based upon Editorial Opinion, SEO By The Sea
- Google-powered MTV Video, Google Blogoscoped
- Naughty Google Suggest, Google Blogoscoped
- Google Maps Below Result Snippets, Google Blogoscoped
- Yahoo! TV Sets Fall Preview, Multichannel News
- Can Google's Guide For The Blind Do More?, InternetNews.com
- MSN Search Doesn't Randomize Results Within One Index, Search Engine Roundtable
- Wisdom of Crowds: PredictWallStreet.com, Greg Sterling
- MSN UK Testing New Search Results Layout?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google's Wifi Routers, Inside Google
- Forbes.com Goes Swicki with Eurekster, Online Marketing Blog
- Ask.com Appoints Chuck Geiger As Executive Vice President of Technology and Engineering, Yahoo! Finance
- MSN versus Yahoo! in Search Marketing, iMedia Connection
- Moving into the Zillow API, Robert Scoble
- Q&A with Raghu Ramakrishnan, Yahoo Search Blog
- Community + Search = Evaal?, Robert Scoble
- Top 10 Consequences of AOL's Data Breach, Google Watch
Optimising Digital Marketing Campaigns with Search, Social and Analytics
At SES London (9-11 Feb) you'll get an overview of the latest tools, tips, and tactics in Paid, Owned, Earned, Integrated Media and Business Intelligence to streamline your marketing campaigns in 2015. Register by 31 October to take advantage of Early Bird Rates.