Below, a recap of stories posted today to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with other items we've spotted but not blogged separately:
From The SEW Blog...
Media Optimization: It's Like SEO, For Social Sites
One of the coolest things about the rise of social networking and sharing sites like MySpace and YouTube are the new opportunities they offer to marketers, even to search marketers. Into that space seems to have come a new term, SMO -- social media optimization....
Search Patent Filings: August 29, 2006 - Yahoo looks at Interactive TV and
Yahoo patent filings include one detailing bidding for placement in paid search filed this past April, another that details a very interactive environment for watching television programming, a third describing a method of soliciting consumer reviews, and a granted patent for a Voice Over IP (VOIP) system that doesn't require Telephony Interface Cards. Microsoft had two new patent applications published, including one which provides a means of suggesting alternative spellings for words, and another that interacts with searchers to help them construct queries. IBM filed a patent application for building social networks within a business organization, and was granted a...
On Coupon Shortcut, Yahoo Adds Cheap Shortcut
Last week I told you about Yahoo's new Coupon Shortcut. In that post, I said that the comments on Adam Viener's Revenews post seem to suggest that Coupon Cabin is providing the coupon codes, but Chris Saito of Yahoo! Shopping told me that Yahoo! “aggregates coupons/rebates from multiple sources but hasn't released specific partners.” When I talked to Chris, he also alerted me to the new 'cheap' shortcut which highlights products which have been marked down in Yahoo! Shopping/Yahoo! Product Submit. Just search for 'cheap [insert product]'. Here are some examples: cheap plasma tv, cheap shirts, cheap jeans....
InsiderPages, one of the top "social directory" sites, has launched its equivalent of Yahoo!'s Answers: "Insider Advice." It's only available to members but allows people to ask open-ended questions of the community. The press release offers an explanation and some examples: Posting a question on Insider Advice is quick and easy. Members simply click on the Insider Advice button, type in a question and hit “submit”. They can add as much detail or background to their question as they like. Insider Pages alerts them to replies to their queries via email and then they can sit back and read the...
Launches New Music Store
Reuters reported yesterday that AOL has lunched a revamped AOL Music portal. AOL has reportedly added a new music store and a subscription based service that includes "audio and video streaming, programmed radio and downloads that can be transferred to compatible digital media players." The store has over 2.5 million songs and videos and costs $10 (5 pounds) to $15 a month for access to AOL Music Now....
Adds Geo Tagging
Techcrunch reports on the Flickr blog announcement that Flickr has added Geo Tagging to their feature set. Geo tagging will enable Flickr users to mark the pictures with geographic specific information, this way people can know where you took that photo. You can also search for photos within a specific location and then refine that search based on a keyword. Flickr has two very useful screencasts on (1) how to geotag your own photos and (2) searching and exploring geotagged photos. These are neat features, for sure, but I think they seriously need to work on making the registration easier...
Revamps Real Estate Portal
The Yahoo Blog announced that they have revamped Yahoo Real Estate. They have also added some more Yahoo Shortcuts that pulls data from Yahoo Real Estate, directly on Yahoo Search. For example, a search on suffern, new york mortgage rates brings back a Shortcut with a chart of rates, with more links to more detailed information. They added some more shortcuts, including a listing short cut, so if you search on chicago real estate you get links to Yahoo Real Estate, if you search on home values you get a instant home valuation tool, if you search on a specific...
Down From Search Engine Watch
I'm leaving Search Engine Watch as of December 1, given that its owner Incisive Media and I have been unable to agree on terms to renew my contract. I'm also leaving the Search Engine Strategies conference series at the end of this year. Leaving Search Engine Watch on my personal blog Daggle explains my reasons for departing in more detail. I won't get all mushy and sad to say goodbye to readers yet, since I'm still planning to work just as hard as ever for Search Engine Watch through the end of November. I have no news on who will...
Favored Sites, and Editorial Opinion
There's a lot of blog coverage of a new patent from Google, System and method for supporting editorial opinion in the ranking of search results, which was originally filed with the US Patent Office in December of 2000. I'm seeing a lot of questions related to the patent......
Search Patent Filings: August 28, 2006 - Identifying Web Spam and Adult Images
New Microsoft patent applications include one that attempts to identify web spam based upon signals within the content of a page, another looks at ways to search using pattern matching and relevance to answer specific questions, a third describes a method of relating people to each other during a search based upon things such as being co-authors of documents, a fourth defines a process of refining searches based upon previous searches for the same query or by providing additional context to searchers, and a fifth allows users or communities of users to provide reviews of web pages independently of the...
Headlines & News From Elsewhere
- Reaction from the Search Community on Danny Sullivan's Departure, Search Engine Roundtable
- Windows Live QnA open for use, TechCrunch
- Bob Dylan on Google Video, Google Blogoscoped
- The Last Days of Yahoo! 1.0. Going Global, Corante
- Google AdWords My Client Center Adds Email Alerts, Search Engine Roundtable
- More Changes to Google's Related (Similar Pages) Command, Search Engine Roundtable
- Does Yahoo have the right answers?, CNN Money
- Lycos Hopes Video Search Improves Its Relevance, Internet News
- Personalized Homepage coming for new hosting service, Googling Google
- Talking with Skype, Google Talkabout Blog
- Buying & Selling Text Link Ads, SEOmoz Blog
- Is Black Hat SEO Officially Mainstream?. SEO Black Hat
- Search Engine Bans and Penalties, or Just Your Imagination?, ClickZ
- The Data War: Google, Yahoo, and MSN, ClickZ
- SEO PR: Buzzworthy or Overhyped?, iMedia Connection
- What AOL's Data Dump Tells Marketers, iMedia Connection
- Google, UC disclose book-scan terms, IDG
- Ariadne Issue 48 now out with Accoona my focus, Phil Bradley
- What Should Ask do?, V7N
- Podango to Create Podcast Channels, Techcrunch
- How Plone Websites are being Used to Spam Blogs, Performancing
- Video: Recap of SES San Jose 2006, Matt Cutts
- Heather Lloyd Martin on Search Engine Writing, Chris Pirillo
- Windows Live Search - Testing, Testing…, MSN Search Weblog
- XSS Security Tool, SEO Black Hat
- The Final Word on the Yahoo! Directory, The Link Building Blog
- GoogleGuy Downgrades Google Update Pluto, Search Engine Roundtable
- We've Launched Our Own Search Engine, Greg Boser
Optimising Digital Marketing Campaigns with Search, Social and Analytics
At SES London (9-11 Feb) you'll get an overview of the latest tools, tips, and tactics in Paid, Owned, Earned, Integrated Media and Business Intelligence to streamline your marketing campaigns in 2015. Register by 31 October to take advantage of Early Bird Rates.