Below, a recap of stories posted today to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with other items we've spotted but not blogged separately:
From The SEW Blog...
2006 Search News Recap Posted
The latest edition of my monthly Search Engine Report newsletter is now online, recapping top stories in search from the past month. You can read it online or receive it via email for free by signing up here. If you're a Search Engine Watch member, the latest edition of Search Engine Update newsletter has also been posted. That newsletter carries more items than the Search Engine Report newsletter and goes out twice per month....
Launches Mobile Ads On Google Mobile
ClickZ reports that Google is now testing ads on Google Mobile. The ads are being tested in U.S., U.K. and in Germany and are priced similar to how normal AdWords ads are priced, based on auction. Google has a whole help section for Mobile Ads here. It explains what the ads look like; "Mobile ads contain two lines of text, with a limit of 12 or 18 characters per line, depending on the language in which you write your ad. Your destination URL appears on a third line if you choose to enter one. If you select the option that...
- Top SEM
Andy Beal wrote a blog post he named The Top 10 Business Mistakes Search Marketing Firms Make. The first mistake SEM firms make, according to Andy, is that they create a "set up fee" that is often not affordable for many companies, instead, he said, charge a set monthly fee with a X month commitment. The second mistake is "offering too many service options," basically keep it simple. The third mistake is not building your SEM firm to scale beyond 5 to 10 employees, Andy gives some clues on how to make scalability happen. The fourth mistake is a mistake...
Microsoft Adds Behavioral Targeting Features To adCenter
MediaPost reports that Microsoft has added behavioral targeting features to the adCenter product. Microsoft has broken down Internet surfers into 18 audience segments including; mobile users, Internet power users, gamers, movie watchers, new/expecting moms, parents, and several categories encompassing travel searchers, and auto buyers and researchers. This now helps Microsoft stand apart from Google's AdWords product and Yahoo's Search Marketing product, PPC engines that currently do not have integrated behavioral targeting capabilities....
Classifieds A Big Gainer In Local Landscape
comScore is reporting that the classifieds category is gaining very fast with 47% annual traffic growth. Classifieds sites, as defined by comScore, collectively racked up 37.4 million monthly uniques in July. That's 22% penetration of the total U.S. online population. As one might predict the category leader is Craigslist, which had 13.8 million users and experienced 99% growth vs. the previous year. Only two sites grew faster than Craigslist on a percentage basis: LiveDeal (104%) and Oodle (463%)....
Now Searching 200 Years of News
News search services like those offered by Yahoo, Topix.net and Google are great for contemporary events, but none keep stories around for more than a month or so. You can search news going back from many sources farther than that, but all charge for access to read the articles. Google today has launched a hybrid news search service that searches back more than 20 decades, and offers both free and fee-based results. It's an intriguing service, and I've got more details in today's SearchDay article, Google Debuts 200 Year News Archive Search. Postscript From Danny: Expect us to do a...
Headlines & News From Elsewhere
- Zippy.co.uk from Dave Naylor, Threadwatch
- Diggin Digg For Fun And Profit, Oilman
- Podcast: First Edition of Search Pulse Live, Search Pulse
- Results of the Google Desktop Gadget Contest!, Google
- Video: Crawl dates in the Google cache, Matt Cutts
- Podcast: Google News Archive's 200 Years Of News; Avoiding Mistakes Selling SEM; Microsoft Offers Behavioral Targeting & More!, Daily SearchCast
- Social Blog Aggregators Revisited, O'Reilly Radar
- Quality of Book Digitization, O'Reilly Radar
- Adam Lasnik of Google Tells SEOs Not to Attend His SEO Seminar, SEO Roundtable
- Google's instant intranet, ZDNet
- Proof Google Loves EDU & GOV Sites, SEO Book
- Relevance, Traffic and Clicks, Oh My, adCenter Blog
- Thoughts on my del.icio.us network, Jeremy Zawodny
- Updates: Desktop Gadgets Galore, Google Code
- The “What's Danny Sullivan Going To Do Next” Competition, V7N
- Pondering Next Steps -- Making No Fast Decisions, Danny Sullivan
- Microsoft loses veteran executive to Amazon.com, Seattle Times
- Amazon.com Movie Service May Launch This Week, PaidContent.org
- Ex-Yahoo executive upsets Graber for Florida Senate seat, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
- How to add MicroFormats And Why You Should, Performancing
SES Conference & Expo has merged with ClickZ to bring you ClickZ Live! The new global conference series takes on the identity of the industry's premier digital marketing publication, ClickZ.com, and kicks off March 31-April 3 in New York City. Join the industry's leading tech-advertisers in the advertising capital of the world! Find out more ››
*Super Saver Rates expire Jan 24.