Below, a recap of stories posted today to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with other items we've spotted but not blogged separately:
From The SEW Blog...
- The Vice
Presidents of Search
A sure sign that search marketing is maturing is the emergence of high-level executives responsible for the search marketing function in larger organizations. Who are these people? What do they do, and how do they jostle successfully in their jobs? A recent panel at SES San Jose explored these and other issues with several vice presidents of search, and guest writer Sara Holoubek covered the session for today's SearchDay article, Your Search, Your Way....
Earth Adds Featured Content Partners
Google just announced that they launched new featured content on Google Earth from the United Nations Environmental Program, Discovery Networks World Tour, US National Park Service, Jane Goodall Institute and Turn Here. To access this information, open Google Earth, click on the "Featured Content" checkbox in the sidebar. By doing that, "icons for each Featured Content provider will span the globe, enabling users to click on individual locations and learn about the area's significance."...
Search Volume More Than Web Search Volume
There were two interesting articles on site search, searches done directly on a web site versus a web search engine, recently. The first was from Shaun Ryan where he estimated the search volume of site search compared to web search. He shows that web searches are performed about 200 million times per day. But based on his best guesstimation, there are more than 2 billion site search done per day. If that is the case, a new study from Lou Rosenfeld on how site owners view site search might be interesting to read. The study asked four questions and received...
Displaying Checkout Icons In Search Ads
Andrew Goodman spotted Yahoo placing little shopping cart icons in some of the sponsored listings for eBay ads. Just like how Google has implemented it for those AdWords advertisers who have signed up with Google Checkout, Yahoo seems to be displaying those icons near the ads. I don't have any more details at the time, but you can see a screen capture at Traffick.com....
Banning Books In The US Is Bad; Censorship In China, Not So Much
Google's blogging (and here) about how it is supporting the 25th anniversary of the American Library Association's Banned Book Week by posting information about novels that have been challenged or banned from being in libraries within the United States. That's great, but it also rings hollow given Google's support of wide-spread censorship in China....
Headlines & News From Elsewhere
- Google on the Ropes in China, Red Herring
- Sex Searches Shrink: Numbers Contine Down According to Leading Web Researchers, ResourceShelf
- Why that site with 50 backlinks beats your site with 1000 backlinks, Jim Boykin
- A Peek Inside TechCrunch's 100k Subscriber Milestone, Feedburner
- Podcast: Google Earth Gains Featured Layers; Google Hypocrisy Over Book Banning? Site Search Is Important! Plus More!, Daily SearchCast
- CNN finds new marketing niche... Dead Children, Threadwatch
- Google Leaks Bloggers Password, Dave Naylor
- Former KR SVP Hilary Schneider Joins Yahoo At SVP; Heading All Listing Businesses, PaidContent.org
- Google Taps Fiber with Manhattan Move, Google Watch
- Google: The New Port Authority, Villiage Voice
- Yahoo and Intel to pipe sports data to TV screens, Reuters.co.uk
- Yahoo Publishers Noticing Balance Reductions Last Night, Search Engine Roundtable
- 8 Tips on Hiring a Search Firm, iMedia Connection
- Anti-Spyware Programs Snare Ad Cookies, Google Cookies Evade All, ClickZ
- Special Report Released: Cookies detected by Anti-Spyware Programs, Vinny Lingham
- Podcast: Google News Archive, Sitelinks, AdWords Preview, Search Pulse
- Yahoo Use Shopping Cart Icons, Too?, V7N
- Danny Sullivan Interview - By Brett@WMW, V7N
- 9/11 Tribute Image, Ask.com Blog
- Some Mobile Web News and a Compilation of a Few Favorite Mobile Web Resources and Tools, ResourceShelf
- Briefs: Another World eBook Fair, More Books Too!; Banned Books List (Google & Amazon); Library News Smart Answers, ResourceShelf
- Search Marketing Organization Forms in Portland, Oregon, Search Engine Guide
- Google alternatives - not all up to snuff, Lifehacker
- Explore banned books, Google Book Search
- SEORockstars Hacked, Oilman
- Secret Feeds in Google Video, Google Operating System
This Year's Premier Digital Marketing Event is #CZLSF
ClickZ Live San Francisco (Aug 11-14) will bring together the industry's leading online marketing practitioners to deliver 4 days of educational sessions and training workshops. From Data-Driven Marketing to Social, Mobile, Display, Search and Email, the comprehensive agenda will help you maximize your marketing efforts and ROI. Register today!