Below, a recap of stories posted today to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with other items we've spotted but not blogged separately:
From The SEW Blog...
Offers 5 Gigabytes of Free Online Storage
In the not search-related but still useful category, AOL is now offering 5 gigabytes of free online storage through its Xdrive subsidiary. All you need is an AOL screen name—no other strings attached. It's an excellent service, very easy to use, and I highly recommend it for backups, extra storage, or just an extra locker for music, photos or other digital media. More info and free registration here....
- See Ads?
Now You Don't! Google AdWords Rotating Out Top Sponsored Links
Google is now displaying or not displaying the top sponsored links (with the blue background) based on searcher behavior. What I mean is that if you, as an individual, tend not to click on ads, Google will drop off the top ads from the page and place them on the right side. I discovered this in the morning, and I have a quote from a WebmasterWorld member in my post named Google Testing Removing Top Blue Ads Based on User Behavior, which says that Google is in fact testing this. I personally tested it myself and noticed that if I...
Adds Tabs To Personalized Home Page
Last night Google has added the ability to add and manage tabs on your personalized home page. At the top of the page, you should see a "Add a tab" link. Clicking on that will enable you to add a tab to your home page, helping you keep your Google home page more organized. Both Garrett Rogers and I took screen captures of our personalized home pages. Garrett added a "work" tab, I decided to add a "feeds" tab, that contains all my feeds. This can be very handy for those who are big into Google Personalized home page....
Live Hot? You Won't Know Since Referer Data Is Stripped
Forums Roundup: Sept. 15, 2006
Today's SearchDay, Search Engine Forums Spotlight, features our weekly links to this week's hot topics from search engine forums across the web: Links to the week's topics from search engine forums across the web: Which Web Services Do You Use? - Mining the Tail? - AdSense On Home Page - Does It Cheapen The Look? - What are the Barriers to Using Search Analytics? - Digg Dealing With the Same Problems as Google? and more....
Headlines & News From Elsewhere
Tired of linking, Yahoo! starts! making! the! news!, The Register
- Some of Google's steps and challenges in emerging markets: Hungary, Gugli
- The A to Z Guide to Getting Website Traffic, Pandia
- Gmail Plus Phishing, Google Blogoscoped
- Yahoo! and Gemstar Get Cozy, Motley Fool
- Opening up the Merchant Referral Program, Official Google Checkout Blog
- Google Related Searches, Google Operating System
- Advertising Placements by Industry and Top Sponsored Links, August 2006, ClickZ
- Are You Listening?, ClickZ
- Planning for Panama, Part 2, ClickZ
- Okay, Lets Make A Deal: You Don't Promote Copyright Violations, And I Don't Call You A Hypocrite, InsideGoogle
- How to: Fix your tiny site:domain.com results in Google, Threadwatch
- HitTail: An Interesting Service, Searchblog
- AOL's Ted Leonsis To Give Up Duties; Stay on As Advisor; Management Reshuffle, PaidContent.org
- Evan Williams: How Odeo Screwed Up, GigaOM
- Topix.net Vists up 24% in Past Month, Hitwise
- Updated List: Business Search, Hoover's 100: Most Searched For Companies on Hoovers.com, ResourceShelf
- Google on the Ropes in China, Red Herring
- Latest Search Numbers: Google Climbs Back Above 60%, Hitwise
Optimising Digital Marketing Campaigns with Search, Social and Analytics
At SES London (9-11 Feb) you'll get an overview of the latest tools, tips, and tactics in Paid, Owned, Earned, Integrated Media and Business Intelligence to streamline your marketing campaigns in 2015. Register by 31 October to take advantage of Early Bird Rates.