Below, a recap of stories posted today to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with other items we've spotted but not blogged separately:
From The SEW Blog...
- Baidu Holds 62% Share In China
LinuxWorld reports that Baidu, the Chinese search engine, has 62.1 percent share based on a China Internet Network Information Centre (CNNIC) report. That is up 10 points from 52 percent in 2005. In terms of brand recognition in China, 86.5 percent identifying with the name "Baidu," where only 64 percent identifying with the name "Google" in China. The study does state that 76.3 percent use more than one search engine regularly. The article everyone is buzzing about is a NY Times article named The Rise of Baidu (That's Chinese for Google), it really does make for a good read....
- Yahoo To Run Huge Global Advertising Campaign
Reuters reports that Yahoo is going to be running a multimillion-dollar global advertising campaign consisting of television, radio, cinema and online advertising. The campaign will be promoting a number of Yahoo's products and services, including Yahoo Answers and email. It is reported that the commercials and campaigns will contain the "Do You Yahoo? tagline and take a "humorous look at life with -- and without -- the benefits of Yahoo services." Yes, Danny, donuts are involved, there will be a "Dunkin' Donuts iced coffee giveaway for Yahoo visitors on Friday, September 22."...
- Belgian Court Orders Google To Remove Content From Google News & Cache
Reuters reports the big news of the day that Google has been ordered by a Belgian court to remove all articles, photographs and graphics from French-speaking newspapers. Copiepresse issued the complaint and won the court ruling on September 5th. Not only does this require Google to remove content from Google News, the court order requires removing the content from the Google cache. ChillingEffects.org has a link to the full court order....
Headlines & News From Elsewhere
- Is Google Hosting Next Up from the Googleplex?, Resource Shelf
- Delays in Wi-Fi talks for S.F. frustrate Google executive, SF Gate
- Google Syndicated Search coming soon, Googling Google
- Google and Apple in iTV content talks, The Register
- Google Search Update, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Creates PAC, Threadwatch
- Yahoo Search API Getting More Accurate, Web Analytics World
- Warner to license music in YouTube videos, Techcrunch
- Telecom Italia buys German AOL as row plays out, Globe and Mail
- The Intersection of Media & SEO, SEOMoz
- Google's Salar Kamangar Interviewed, Google Blogoscoped
- Google's Ann Arbor office opens, to employ 1,000, Mercury News
- Changes in url queries, Matt Cutts
- Inside AdSense launches in Portuguese, Inside AdSense
- A Google Trial Ties Ad Position to User Behavior, ClickZ
- Four Trusted Links You Can Build Today, Link Building Blog
Meet Your Favorite Search Engine Watch Contributors
Many of SEW's leading expert contributors will be at ClickZ Live, the new online and digital marketing event kicking off in New York (March 31-April 3). Hear from the likes of: Thom Craver, Josh Braaten, Lisa Barone, Simon Heseltine, Josh McCoy, Lisa Raehsler, Greg Jarboe, Dan Cristo, Joseph Kerschbaum, John Gagnon, Eric Enge and more!