Below, a recap of stories posted today to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with other items we've spotted but not blogged separately:
From The SEW Blog...
Search Usage for August 2006
Hitwise just released August 2006 market share data for the most popular online video search sites.
CEO Says Ad Growth Slowing Down; Ask.com To Increase Market Share
The Wall Street Journal reports that Terry Semel, Yahoo's CEO, has warned that online advertising growth will be slowing in automotive and financial services industries. He said that there is still growth, but "but they're not growing as quickly as we might have hoped at this point in time," Semel said. On that news, Yahoo's shared dropped $3.47, or 12%, to $25.54. Barry Diller, CEO of IAC, said he can see Ask.com gaining market share, about 8 to 10 percent share. More details on that story at Reuters.com....
Customizing Your Own Search Engine
Want to build your own search engine that skews toward your favorite sites or topic, but don't have a few billion to start up your own company? No problem: A number of companies are now offering services that let you tweak their technology to create a highly personalized search experience for you and your blog or web site users. More on these services by SEW correspondent Phil Bradley in today's SearchDay article, Your Search, Your Way....
Creating "Brickhouse" Internal Incubator To Keep Talent
GigaOM reports that Yahoo is creating an internal incubator, code named Brickhouse, to give some of Yahoo's talent a place to work without the bureaucracy of a large company. The person running the Brickhouse, love that name by the way, is Flickr founder Caterina Fake. It is apparent that Yahoo knows that hiring new talent is a hard thing to do, but keeping current talent, may be harder -- definitely more important, in my opinion....
Creating Incubators To Keep Hired Talent
GigaOM reports that Yahoo is creating incubators, code named Brickhouse, to give some of Yahoo's talent a place to work without the bureaucracy of a large company. The person running the Brickhouse, love that name by the way, is Flickr founder Caterina Fake. It is apparent that Yahoo knows that hiring new talent is a hard thing to do, but keeping current talent, may be harder - definitely more important, in my opinion....
Matters and Mobile People Partner for Mobile Local Search
Directory, directory assistance and local search infrastructure provider Local Matters today announced a deal with European mobile search company Mobile People. According to the press release, "The collaboration between Local Matters and Mobile People is designed to bring new revenue opportunities to the Yellow Pages industry by combining mobile search capabilities with existing yellow and white pages information for competing in the growing search marketing industry."...
- Why Is
Wikipedia Advertising On Google?
Wikipedia Advertising Shows Up on Google from Micro Persuations covers how Wikipedia is apparently advertising content on Google. A search on crowdsourcing in Google brings up a Wikipedia ad in the sponsored listing area that says: Crowdsourced Software 1. Harness this exciting wave. 2. Save money or make money! wikipedia.org/Crowdsourcing Yes, the same landing page is shown on the organic listings as well. So why would the Wikipedia be spending money on those ads? Is it even Wikipedia who is purchasing those ads? Maybe it is a 3rd party that is interested in getting more content added to certain Wikipedia...
- URL Vs.
Navigational Queries Explained: AKA, Why Did URL Searches At Google Change?
Matt Cutts from Google has a great follow up on our reports that Google Modifies Navigational Search Results from about two-plus weeks ago. In his post, he explains that when you search on a URL (i.e. www.searchenginewatch.com), Google has stopped showing the information for the URL and now shows a standard search on the words in the URL itself. I learned two things from Matt's post....
Political Action Committee: Google NetPAC
Threadwatch Via Threadwatch, Google will flex political muscles PAC to raise money for causes, candidates; lobbyists on board from the San Francisco Chronicle covers how Google has created its own Political Action Committee named Google NetPAC to to support candidates backing "an open and free internet." Google has some small footprints in Washington already, hiring a lobbying firm in the past to help push public policy in the direction Google wants it to go....
- Google &
Apple To Do Content, Ad Deals?
Google and Apple in iTV content talks from The Register covers how Google may be providing video clips for Apple's "iTV," announced at last week's Apple developers conference. Meanwhile, Apple is about to break big into ad sales from Valleyway covers a rumor ad partnership between Apple and Google. Vallleywag says Apple will soon carry Google ads on its web sites and within iTunes. I guess Google's CEO joining the Apple board does make the two companies more friendly. Google will be providing video content to Apple and plus help Apple monetize their products and content with Google Ads -...
Headlines & News From Elsewhere
- AdWords doesn't want Canadian Qualified Companies in Google Advertising Professionals, JenSense
- Using digg and Netscape to get traffic, Pronet Advertising
- Ask.com aims to increase search market share, Reuters
- Bigger and better search appliance, Official Google Blog
- Podcast: Google News Told To Drop Belgian News Sites; Google & Apple To Partner?; Yahoo Tries To Keep Talent Happy & More!, Daily SearchCast
- Search Copy Campaign Finalists, MediaPost
- Your Own Google Video Captions, Google Blogoscoped
- Yahoo! India to hire 200 techies for mobile tech, Business Standard
- Yahoo funds $1M Stanford journalism fellowship, San Jose Business Journal
- Why Google Loves The Little Guys, Forbes.com
- Google plugs phishing hole, News.com
- Which Google Webmaster Tools Do You Want?, Google Blogoscoped
- Google Fixes AdWords Reporting Issue, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Adds Post-Video Links, InsideGoogle
- Google OneBox Q&A Adult Spam, Search Engine Roundtable
- Web Analytics Can Track Offline Campaigns, Too, ClickZ
- Eyeblaster Expands Into Search Marketing, ClickZ
- The Google Murder, Google Blogoscoped
- Picasa Web Albums - No Invitation Required, Google Operating System
- MSN Launches Beta of Soapbox on MSN Video, Microsoft Press Release
- Sainsbury's signs as Yahoo! Answers first UK advertiser, Revolution
- Ballsy Google Kicks Belgian Newspapers' Asses, InsideGoogle
- Google Analytics Now Up To 50 Profiles, InsideGoogle
- WebSearchU, The Link Spiel
- Fast Facts: Distance Calculator (U.S. Only), ResourceShelf
- Google Ordered to End Belgian News Usage, Associated Press
- Newspapers demanding Google cache removal being zapped from index ..., Pascal Van Hecke
- Botnet operator taps into Google Analytics, VNUnet
- Quigo Going Trying To Win Google, Yahoo Publishers and Advertisers, Search Marketing & ROI
- Some AdSense Publishers Can Place Ads in Emails, Search Engine Roundtable
- The impact of SEO on online advertising market, Search-Science
Twitter Canada MD Kirstine Stewart to Keynote Toronto
ClickZ Live Toronto (May 14-16) is a new event addressing the rapidly changing landscape that digital marketers face. The agenda focuses on customer engagement and attaining maximum ROI through online marketing efforts across paid, owned & earned media. Register now and save!