Below, a recap of stories posted today to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with other items we've spotted but not blogged separately:
From The SEW Blog...
- Search Forums Roundup: Sept. 29, 2006
Today's SearchDay, Search Engine Forums Spotlight, features our weekly links to this week's hot topics from search engine forums across the web: Can We Take SEO As a Long Term Career? - Is Flash The Future Of The Internet? - Best Way To Build A New Site - New Trends in Google Rankings - Yahoo in Talks to Acquire Facebook, and more....
- Yotophoto For Finding Free Photos Fast
Yotophoto is a fast and easy to use image search engine. There are plenty of image search engines available of course, but that's no reason why there shouldn't be one more. The focus of Yotophoto however is on making 'open and copyleft' images available to educators, bloggers and digital artists. Consequently Yotophoto acts as a multi/meta search engine, scouring resources such as Flickr, Wikipedia, Stock.Xchng, Morguefile, Pixelperfect Digital and OpenPhoto for images in the public domain, or made available under CC, GNU FDL or similar licenses....
- Yahoo China Sues Hongyi's Qihoo For Unfair Competition
Reuters reports that Yahoo China is suing Qihoo, claiming that 360safe spyware software is prompting users to uninstall the Yahoo Toolbar. The spyware software claims that Yahoo's Toolbar is "malware" and is a risk to their computers. Joseph Tsai, Alibaba's chief financial officer, said that this is unfair competition, alluding to a former Yahoo employee named Zhou Hongyi who know heads up Qihoo. It is important to note that Zhou Hongyi sued Yahoo last month for defamation....
- Yahoo Hack Day Starts Today
Yahoo is holding Hack Day today and Yahoo's Jeremy Zawodny is excited about it. He compiled a list of ways to stay on the new hacks, mashups and products announced at Yahoo's Hack Day. He has encouraged everyone writing content about this event to tag your content as "hackday06". Hack Day photos tagged at Flickr, content bookmarked at del.ici.us, other content at Technorati and some more here. Also, note, the Hack Day blog is at http://developer.yahoo.net/hackday/....
- Google Webmaster Central Updates Query Stats Every Monday Now
Vanessa Fox announced at the Google Webmaster Central blog that the query stats from within the statistics section of Google Webmaster Central will be now updated weekly, instead of every few weeks. The updates are most likely to occur each Monday but no specific time was mentioned. There are more details on how Google calculates the query stats in Vanessa's post....
- Google Reader & Ask's Bloglines Undergo Updates
Both Google Reader and Ask.com's Bloglines have gone under some interface and usability updates, with some added features included....
- Picasa Web Albums: Google Goes Flickr
Threadwatch reports that Google has began "doing online photo storage" at Picasa Web Albums. I quickly tested it out and made a test album, it appears you cannot upload gif files from the web interface - seriously. In any event, like Flickr, you get a certain amount of free space and then if you want more, you can pay. The Picasa learn more page says that you get 250MB of free storage and if you need more you can upgrade to an additional 6GB of space for $25 a year. Picasa Web also has RSS and other sharing features....
- Yahoo Toolbar To Be Installed On HP Computers IE7 Browsers
The Associate Press reports that Yahoo and HP have struck a deal to have all desktop and laptop computers in the United States to have the Yahoo Toolbar pre-installed on top of Microsoft's Internet Explorer 7. HP computers sold in Europe will have the home page default to Yahoo.com, starting immediately. Earlier this month, Yahoo & Acer set Yahoo as the default Search Engine on Acer Computers....
Headlines & News From Elsewhere
- Matt Cutts To Guest On Search Pulse Podcast, Search Engine Roundtable
- Review: Google Reader, Matt Cutts Blog
- Google AdWords Fridge On eBay, Inside Google
- Google Indexes Spaces in Subdomains, Google Blogoscoped
- Time Distribution for Effective Online Marketing, SEOmoz Blog
- Re-Evaluating Click Fraud, iMedia Connection
- Social Networking and Social Search in PPC, ClickZ
- 5 Quick and Easy Ways To Stop Blog Spam Before It Hits Your Blog, Shoemoney
- Google PageRank Update Underway, Search Engine Roundtable
- AdCenter Advertisers Like Returns, Want More, ClickZ
- Google 'Ask us anything' except..., Phil Bradley
- Ask.com to Upgrade Sponsored Search Program, Search Engine Roundtable
- Tips for Local Search Engine Optimization for Your Site, Natural Search Blog
- Does Social Networking Mean Social Shopping?, eMarketer.com
- The Search In Paperback, With New Chapter, Searchblog
- Supplemental Index Gone Wild?, Traffick
- RadioTail releases free podcast stats tracking, TechCrunch
- OMMA Recap & Recent Search News, SearchViews?
- Yahoo! Executive Visits RU, The Tartan Online
- ClipBlast - Video From Around the Web, Phil Bradley
- Are we clicking on AdWords ads?, Inside AdWords Blog
- Now anyone can Talk, Google Blog
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Early Bird rates available through Sept 12. Register today!