Below, a recap of stories posted today to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with other items we've spotted but not blogged separately:
From The SEW Blog...
- Google AdSense Launches Multiple Channel Feature
For those publishers that do a lot of testing and tracking to increase Google AdSense earnings, you will be happy to know you can now track up to five different channels on a single ad unit. You will need to generate new AdSense code in your control panel to begin tracking more channels. The full scoop on the Inside AdSense blog.
- Google Wins Case Against Maughan Over Search Results Snippets
Eric Goldman reports that Google has won the Maughan v. Google case where Mark Maughan filed a suit against Google for the content displayed in the snippets area under a search results listing in Google.com. A search on Mark Maughan Accountancy currently shows the number one listing from www.dca.ca.gov/cba/discipline/ma-me.htm. The snippet looks like:...
- Consumer Satisfaction Doesn't Equal Market Share
Earlier this week J.D. Power and Associates released the findings of its "2006 Residential Online Service Customer Satisfaction Study." The study, based on a survey of more than 10,000 U.S. residential Internet users, found that Yahoo Messenger ranked the highest among IM clients and that – and this is something of a surprise – InfoSpace's Dogpile had the highest rankings among search engines....
- Yahoo To Hold 3rd Quarter Earnings Conference Call 10/17
Yahoo will hold their third-quarter earnings conference call on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 at 2:00 PM PT / 5:00 PM ET. The live Webcast of Yahoo's Q3 2006 earnings conference call can be accessed here. The Webcast will be archived within 24 hours of the end of the call and will be available through the same link above....
- Upload Videos To Google's Picasa
Philipp Lenssen reports that you can upload your videos to Google's Picasa web albums if you wanted to. Philipp links to this sample video of a kid doing chin ups. As an FYI, you can now upload videos to Google Video, YouTube (soon to be owned by Google) and now Google's Picasa. Options, options and more options -- too much?...
- Stanford University Keeps Yahoo's $1M After Strong Criticism
Mercury News updates us that despite the fact that Stanford University criticized Yahoo for helping China, and Danny pointing out they may accept the $1M was again criticized, Stanford will be keeping the $1 million grant. The director of the fellowship program said they are "considering holding a forum to engage Yahoo and other media companies about operating in repressive countries."...
- Google News Mobile In Japan
Reuters reports Google has launched a news portal for the Japanese mobile phone market. The news portal has about 30 news outlets including Asahi newspaper and state-run NHK....
- Doritos & Yahoo's Consumer Generated Super Bowl Commercial
Yahoo Video along with Doritos launched Crash the Super Bowl, a site where consumers can send them homemade Super Bowl commercials, with a chance to make it to prime time. Doritos will then select 5 finalists from all submissions. Then users will be allowed to determine which one ad will air during the Super Bowl. All five finalists will receive $10,000 and a trip to Miami for a private Super Bowl viewing party. Entries are accepted between Wednesday, October 11 and Monday, December 4. Voting begins for site visitors on Friday, January 5 and ends on Saturday, January 19....
- Watch Some Of The Yahoo TV Commercials
I posted some of the Yahoo TV commercials at Search Engine Roundtable, if you want to check them out, here is a list of those that were posted to YouTube. - Yahoo Answers Commercial - Yahoo Email Commercial - Yahoo Music Playlist Commercial - Yahoo Music Frequalizer Commercial - Yahoo Music UFO Commercial - Yahoo Commercial...
- Search Forums Roundup: Oct. 13, 2006
Today's SearchDay, Search Engine Forums Spotlight, features our weekly links to this week's hot topics from search engine forums across the web: Google To Acquire YouTube for $1.65 Billion - Yahoo PPC Management Crash - SEO: What Skills Are Crucial? - Hired An SEO Company & Now Feel Ripped Off - When Are SEO Firms Going To Offer Link Baiting Services? and more....
- Time Warner: YouTube Copyright Negotiations To Be "Kicked Up" To Google
Google faces copyright fight over YouTube from The Guardian cover how chair and CEO of Time Warner Dick Parsons said his company plans to go after YouTube for copyright violations. It's still talk rather than legal actions: Mr Parsons told the Guardian: "You can assume we're in negotiations with YouTube and that those negotiations will be kicked up to the Google level in the hope that we can get to some acceptable position." I'm sure it will get kicked up. And it shouldn't be hard to get the right people connected given that the AOL part of Time Warner already...
- Selling Information in a Free Web World, Part Two
Today's SearchDay article, The Ongoing Struggle of Free vs. Fee, Part Two, continues the coverage of the ASIDIC Fall Meeting and what the traditional information industry needs to do to survive in the world of increasingly free content available on the web....
- Google And Palm Launch Maps For Smartphones
I'll resist the "maps in the palm of your hand" jokes here. But Google and Palm announced the launch of Google Maps for Treo smartphones. The site indicates that currently the application supports the Treo 600, 650 and 700 models. But I've seen reports that also say the new 680 is being supported, and so I would assume is the forthcoming 750. Maps on a smartphone makes much more sense than a tiny Google map on a tiny mobile screen. The Google Blog has more information....
Headlines & News From Elsewhere
- AdWords Editor Version 2.0, Inside AdWords
- Internet Analysts Expect Solid Q3 Results, MediaPost Publications
- Microsoft adCenter Forcing $1 Bids, Search Engine Roundtable
- MSN adCenter's Content Ads are Now Live, Marketing Shift
- United States v. Google? The DOJ would be going after the wrong perp, Between the Lines
- Yahoo's Talks With Facebook Get Bogged Down, WSJ.com
- My Sophisticated Conference Planning Software: Ode To 3M Post-It Notes, Daggle.com
- Yahoo Japan bets on content for cellphones, Reuters.com
- Diller Chases Web Audiences, Ads by Offering Humor, Bloomberg
- Introducing multiple custom channels, Inside AdSense
- Blinkx Grabs Deal With Microsoft, WebProNews Video Blog
- Checkout and Analytics: Working together, Official Google Checkout Blog
Early Bird Rates have been extended!
June 12-14, 2013: Join industry experts at SES Toronto for a crash course in the latest strategies in Online Marketing and Advertising.
Save $300 when you register by Thursday, May 23.