Below, a recap of stories posted today to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with other items we've spotted but not blogged separately:
From The SEW Blog...
Acquires AdInterax Rich Media Advertising Company
Yahoo announced that they have purchased AdInterax, a company that specializes in management of video and animated online ads. AdInterax built tools to float animations, dynamically expandable banners and streaming video ads. Also, Yahoo bought Rich Media today, an online advertising company. Yahoo said that acquisition will "offer advertisers the ability to bid on Yahoo's non-premium inventory through an open and transparent marketplace."...
Mobile Ads Found In U.S.
Gary Price spotted Google testing mobile ads on Google Mobile search on his Treo. We know Google has been testing mobile ads in the U.S., U.K. and in Germany but this is the first case I have seen of anyone noticing these ads on their mobile devices, outside of a Google employee. Gary has posted screen captures at Flickr showing how Google places the ads in Google Mobile web search....
Citysearch Adds SMS-Based Local Search For Mobile Phones
Citysearch formally launched its text-based mobile local search service today: CS411 (27411). There's also a send-to-phone feature (see, e.g., "Hotels, Burbank CA")....
Live Search Adds linkfromdomain Command
Windows Live Search has added a new linkfromdomain command designed to show you all the sites that a particular domain links to. For example, want to see all the sites we link to off the Search Engine Watch Blog? Do this:...
Kos Says No Thanks To Google News Inclusion
Via News.com, news of a news site that wants out of Google News not over a copyright dispute but simply because they don't like it. The site is Daily Kos, which explains: I voluntarily asked for Daily Kos to be removed from Google News since it was returning results from this site that quite frankly weren't up to the sort of standards I expect out of a service offering up credible news. Obviously, I was alone in trying to preserve the integrity of the service. Not even Google News seems to give a damn....
To Install Solar Panels To Help Power The Google Plex
The Google Blog announced that Google's next ambitious project is to install solar panels on the rooftops of the Google Plex to help power the company on sunny days. Google says they will be placing these 1.6 megawatts of solar photovoltaic panels at their Mountain View headquarters to help offset "approximately 30% of [Google's] peak electricity consumption at those buildings." This is supposedly one of the largest, if not the largest installation of solar power by any corporation in the US. Google will be installing about 9,200 solar panels, reports the Associated Press....
Belgium Drops Some Newspapers, Negotiating On Inclusion After Cease & Desist
Earlier, we touched on the fact that Copiepresse was threatening to go after MSN for carrying Belgian newspapers in the way it went after Google. Via PaidContent.org, Update: MSN is latest target of Belgian copyright complaint from InfoWorld covers how Copiepresse is now negotiating with MSN Belgium after sending a cease-and-desist letter to MSN. Copiepresse hopes to gain a share of advertising revenue....
Others to Search with Power
For those of us who spend most of our time using search engines, searching comes almost as second nature. For most people, however, getting good results from a search engine can be a daunting task. In today's SearchDay article, Teaching People to Search Like Pros, I've reviewed a new book by super searcher Greg Notess that offers one of the best guides I've read to helping others learn how to master web search engines....
Headlines & News From Elsewhere
- Read The Google Book, Google Blogoscoped
- Training Link Developers on the Link Building Cycle, Stuntdubl
- Comparison Shopping Search Backlash - GmbmG, Comparison Shopping Search Backlash
- Wikipedia and Academic Research, Hitwise
- Daily SearchCast, October 17, 2006: Belgium Papers Target Microsoft; Windows Live's New linkfromdomain Command; Googleplex Going Solar & More!
- Looking for Google Talk stories, Official Google Blog
- CNET Reviews the RSS Readers, Micro Persuasion
- MTV Acquires Quizilla, Launches Video Service With Baidu, PaidContent.org
- MSN Taps MTV To Promote Local Search, MediaPost
- Deal takes Microsoft further into Google territory, The Guardian
- Incisive Media Distributes List of 500+ Email Addresses, Search Engine Guide
- Baeza-Yates Plans Knowledge For Yahoo, Web Pro News
- Huge Drop in MSN Traffic "Certainly" Blacklist Spam, Search Engine Roundtable
- Links Within NOSCRIPT Tag Do Not Pass PageRank in Google?, Search Engine Roundtable
- List of Web Directories : PageStrength 5 and Above, Search Engine Journal
- Niniane Wang, Googler, Google Blogoscoped
- Refine Search Results in the Classic Yahoo Mail, Google Operating System
- More SEO Advice, Dave Naylor'
- Firefox 2's Google Search Box Is A Calculator, InsideGoogle
- Comparing new TailRank/DiggTech/TechMeme to Google Reader, Robert Scoble
- TailRank 2.0 Launches To Take On TechMeme, TechCrunch
- Stupid Monkeys and More Fun with Political Search Ads, ClickZ
- Be Wary of How the Engines Use your Title and Meta Description Tags, SEOmoz
- Infrastructure and Expertrank at Ask.com, SEO By The Sea
Introducing... ClickZ Live!
SES Conference & Expo has merged with ClickZ to bring you ClickZ Live! The new global conference series takes on the identity of the industry's premier digital marketing publication, ClickZ.com, and kicks off March 31-April 3 in New York City. Join the industry's leading tech-advertisers in the advertising capital of the world! Find out more ››
*Super Saver Rates expire Jan 24.