Below, a recap of stories posted today to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with other items we've spotted but not blogged separately:
From The SEW Blog...
Link Ads Aquired By MediaWhiz
Text Link Ads has been acquired by MediaWhiz as of yesterday. Text Link Ads (TLA) sells text advertisements on web sites and RSS feeds, they also have a publisher network where small publishers can earn money selling TLA ads on their own site. The dollar figures were not disclosed as part of the release. The Link Building Blog says notes that "the people you will be dealing with tomorrow at TLA will be the same people you have always dealt with since our doors opened in 2003." They will be moving from Cincinnati to New York in a few months...
Australia's Proposed Copyright Rules Would Make Search Engines Impossible,
AFP reports that Google has warned Australia that if they pass certain a new copyright law that it will set the country back to "the pre-Internet era." Google's senior counsel, Andrew McLaughlin, told the Senate Legal and Constitutional Affairs Committee, "If such advanced permission was required [to index pages], the internet would promptly grind to a halt." I believe the issue here is that Australia wants Google to get copyright owners to opt in to having their content indexed, archived and cached, as opposed to opting out via a robots.txt file. Australia is not alone here; Belgium newspapers are fighting...
Recent FAQ List From WebmasterWorld
I reported this morning that WebmasterWorldhas an excellent summary sticky thread with links to important and mostly recent topics that can be very useful to SEOs and Webmasters on Google optimization tips. Here is the rundown....
- Use Of
AdWords In US Senate Campaigns
The Rimm-Kaufman Group conducted a small study on how the US Senate candidates and campaigns used Google AdWords this weekend to "swing Senate races" in the last minute hustle and bustle. Here is a quick punch list of 'take aways' they sent me from the study:...
TIME's Best Invention Of 2006
If you missed it, TIME released their best inventions of 2006 and the best invention at the top of the list was YouTube. Why did it win?...
Update On Google's 2nd Publication Ad Test
In our continued coverage of an individual advertiser who has been invited to participate in the newspaper Google ad test, PPC Discussions has a 3rd update for us. On November 2nd he received an email from Google stating;...
Landing Page Quality Score Coming To AdSense Network
Last night the Inside AdWords blog announced two main things. The first is that Google will be "improving the algorithm for evaluating landing page quality and incorporating landing page content retrieved by the AdWords system." The second is that some (I believe many) AdSense publishers will see the impact of the landing page quality score. We'll begin incorporating landing page quality into the Quality Score for your contextually-targeted ads, using the same evaluation process as we do for ads showing on Google.com and the search network. Advertisers who may be providing a poor experience on their site will notice that...
Adam Lasnik Interviewed
Lee Odden interviewed Adam Lasnik of Google the other day. Adam Lasnik is one of the folks at Google responsible for being the voice of the webmaster. His day job is to help webmasters with ranking and indexing issues either through communication or other means. I find the read interesting and helpful - it really shows that Google cares....
Live Local Gets "Virtual Earth" 3-D Cities
Tomorrow Microsoft will bring dramatic 3-D mapping to the browser window. Windows Live is set to launch photorealistic 3-D imagery for the "urban core" of 15 U.S. cities: San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle, Boston, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Detroit, Phoenix, Houston, Baltimore, Atlanta, Denver, Dallas and Fort Worth. An image of virtual San Francisco, as provided by Microsoft, is above....
Headlines & News From Elsewhere
- Gaming the Search Engine, in a Political Season, New York Times
- Podcast: 3-D Virtual Earth Cities Come To Live Search; Will Australian Copyright Law Send Search Engines Back To The Stone Age? & More!, Daily SearchCast
- Election Day 2006: Logos and Resources, ResourceShelf
- Election Day: Who Are Googlers Supporting?, InsideGoogle
- Time to Vote!, ClickZ Marketing Excellence Awards
- At FTC Hearing, Privacy Policies Bomb, ClickZ
- FTC to Pressure Adware Advertisers, ClickZ
- A Web Analytics Privacy Warning, ClickZ
- On Googler's Fear: Getting Big, In The Worst Way, Searchblog
- Shopping Search Has a New User-Friendly Interface, Part 3, ClickZ
- SmartSearch Combines Pre- and Post-Click Marketing, ClickZ
- A Tossup Vote For Google's Custom Search, MediaPost
- History is cool for school, Official Google Blog
- British Google Doodle 4 Competition, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Services A Rival To Microsoft?, CBS News
- Verizon, YouTube Discuss Video Deal, Wall Street Journal
- Yahoo brings more imagery to mobile ads, AP
- Privacy Prevails: German ISP Forced To Delete IP Logs, Torrentfreak
- Microsoft Adds Movie, TV Downloads To Xbox Live Marketplace; More Than 1,000 Hours To Start, PaidContent.org
- Turn to target ads automatically, VentureBeat
- Barnett Takes 2nd Turn vs. Google, AdWeek
- Jacso Reviews Google Book Search and Discusses Amazon Search Inside the Book, ResourceShelf
- Wikipedia Critic Finds Copied Passages, ResourceShelf
- Amazon's Bezo's Talks To BusinessWeek, ResourceShelf
- New 3D Maps (Beta) from Microsoft: Windows Live Local Gets “Virtual Earth” 3-D Cities; Don't Forget Skyline Globe, ResourceShelf
- Natural Search Engine Developer Powerset Raises $12.5 Million First Round, PaidContent.org
- State of the Blogosphere, October, 2006, Technorati
- Blog Growth, Google Blogoscoped
- Click Forensics & Focus on Affiliate Click Fraud, Search Engine Journal
- SES Chicago and Post-SES Intensive Workshops, Traffick
- Fireside Chat with the SEO Experts, Bruce Clay Blog
- Google Moves to Dismiss PA Class Action Click Fraud Lawsuit, Google Watch
- The Influence of Spam Reports on Search Engine Rankings, SEO By The Sea
- Pocketbook Statistics for Search Engine Marketing, SearchViews
- Google New York Has Free Kosher Food (OU) & More, Search Engine Roundtable
- Beginner's Guide to Digg, Pronet Advertising
- Linkbait Success Rates & Digg's New, Tougher Algo, SEOmoz
- Top Digg Users Feeling Snubbed, TechCrunch
- Netscape To Move From Tech/Politics Focus, TechCrunch
- 3 Link Bait Lessons From a Master Baiter, SEO BlackHat
- Conduit's custom toolbar sees strong uptake, VentureBeat
- Powerset gets $12.5M at whopper valuation, to go after search holy grail, VentureBeat
- Follow That Page: 100 Free Pages Tracked, Search Engine Showdown
- Flash Earth - Compare Mapping Sites, Google Operating System
- BYOMS and Korozu died?, Phil Bradley
- Transcriptions of Matt Cutts' videos, Threadwatch
- Clicktracks Not Struggling: CEO, Traffick
- Thoughts on 18 months with SEMPO, Out Of My Gord
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Early Bird rates available through Sept 12. Register today!