Below, a recap of stories posted today to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with other items we've spotted but not blogged separately:
From The SEW Blog...
Video Adds Rating Sort & Label Search Filter
The Google Video Blog announced that they have added two new search features. The first feature is to allow you to sort a search query by user ratings. The second feature allows you to search by keyword and append a label (tag) you want to filter that search by....
SearchMash Gets Features & Microsoft's Sexy, Experimental Ms. Dewey Search
Google's experimental search engine SearchMash has gained some new features while the sexy Ms. Dewey search engine is now outed as Microsoft's experimental search engine. Ms. Dewey came to light last month. I spotted it via the Google Operating System blog, checked it out and promptly dissed it as a waste of time at the end of a Daily SearchCast episode on Oct. 16. The site features an attractive woman who stands above a search box:...
Consumer Packaged Goods Blog
Threadwatch reported that Google launched a new blog at http://google-cpg.blogspot.com/. The blog is named the Google CPG (Consumer Packaged Goods) blog. What they write about are marketing ideas that they find on the web and they use at Google. As an example, they wrote about the Coke + Mentos viral video....
Collarity Relevance Engine
Collarity is a social search engine that combines a variety of different types of functionality to produce results in a new and interesting way. The basic concept is very straightforward, and is something that we've seen before - searchers begin to type in their search and as they do a little box pops up suggesting appropriate terms for the search - a little like Google Suggest but rather more sophisticated. There is also a slider bar with three settings for Personal, Community and Global.Clicking on each of these options will provide a slightly different set of suggestions, based on previous...
Offers Visual Fashion Search
Image search company Riya has applied its matching technology to a new fashion shopping site called Like. The idea is that you if you find a fashion item you like -- a particular handbag, pair of shoes, watch or jewelry -- the search engine will find related products by examining the actual image. You can keyword search, browse products or browse items worn by celebrities to get matches. I love watches, so I gave it a spin. In particular, I have a large collection of Swatches. So, I started off to see what swatches would bring back. I got...
Schmidt At Web 2.0 On YouTube & Other Issues
John Battelle spoke with Eric Schmidt at Web 2.0 yesterday. What have we got? YouTube's growth made it a necessary purchase. No, money's not set aside to cover YouTube legal claims. Yes, you can have your date if you want it, users. No, Google's not trying to take out Microsoft Office. Plus some more below....
Audio Ads To Be Tested By End Of Year
Google positioning for move into U.S. radio from Reuters has Google saying that Google Audio Ads will begin testing by the end of the year. Google says over time, up to 1,000 Googlers might be involved. The article, as does Google to Boost Scope Of Radio-Ad Sales Business from the Wall Street Journal , touches on the idea that a deal involving a radio player like Clear Channel might kick start things. But rumors of talks remain that, rumors. Meanwhile, I still find myself amazed that Google is doing absolutely nothing in terms of podcasts. Online video, it can't...
- In The
Election Results Race, Yahoo's The Winner
Like many Americans, I wanted to know what was up with the vote in the US midterm elections this morning. As a search analyst, I then wanted to know how the search engines performed in helping me find out. The results are in! Yahoo's the winner by far, but I'd still take the New York Times over it. Come along for an illustrated tour....
Headlines & News From Elsewhere
- Polygons on Google Maps and More, Google Blogoscoped
- Specialized results in your search engine, Official Google Blog
- Podcast: Yahoo Wins Election Results Race; YouTube Buy Doesn't Involve Big Legal Payoffs Says Schmidt; Microsoft's Sexy Ms. Dewey Search & More!, Daily SearchCast
- Local Search at Rest, and Local in Motion, SEO By The Sea
- Local Online Ad Spend to Double by 2010: Kelsey, ClickZ
- Google: Screwing Advertisers Over Before Christmas?, Google Watch
- Answers.com Acquires Wiki-Based Q&A Site FAQFarm For $2 Million, PaidContent.org
- Cloaking in Google Should be Acceptable for Religious Purposes, Search Engine Roundtable
- IAB Elects New Board Members, ClickZ
- A Site That's Worth A Search Fortune, MediaPost
- Google Checkout offers free holiday season processing, Official Google Blog
- AOL Acquires Financial News & Info Search Technology Firm Relegence, PaidContent.org
- FTC: Policing online ads is 'daunting task', News.com
- Microsoft Hops on the Behavioral-Targeting Bandwagon, ClickZ
- Yahoo founder David Filo heads to Wenatchee, Seattle PI
- The Influence of Spam Reports on Search Engine Rankings, SEO By The Sea
- Leap Jumps At Google on the Go, PC Magazine
- Gmail Lets You Forward Conversations, Inside Google
- Ad Preview column for Ad Performance reports, Inside AdWords
- Briefs: MS Live Tweaks Home Page Links; Hotmail Goes to 1GB, 2 GB for Live Mail Users, ResourceShelf
- The Tail That Wags the Web, ClickZ
- Social Search Goes Supernova, iMedia Connection
- 'Enemies of the internet' named, BBC
- orkut: Free to All and Integrated with Google Talk, Google Operating System
- Daum, Google Set to Team Up, The Korea Times
- Live.com to see executive shuffle?, VentureBeat
- How Pubcon is Like Star Wars, Graywolf
- Click Fraud Panel Nov. 13 at Stanford Law School, Eric Goldman
- Google tools for SMBs (Part 1 of 2), Inside AdWords Blog
- WebmasterWorld PubCon 2006 Coverage Schedule, Search Engine Roundtable
This Year's Premier Digital Marketing Event is #CZLSF
ClickZ Live San Francisco (Aug 11-14) will bring together the industry's leading online marketing practitioners to deliver 4 days of educational sessions and training workshops. From Data-Driven Marketing to Social, Mobile, Display, Search and Email, the comprehensive agenda will help you maximize your marketing efforts and ROI. Register today!