Below, a recap of stories posted today to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with other items we've spotted but not blogged separately:
From The SEW Blog...
- More on
Google OneBox Results
Today's SearchDay article, A Closer Look at Google OneBox Results, is the final installment in our series looking at the special features search engines have introduced to push "direct answers" to the top of many search result pages. The first three were A Closer Look at Ask's Smart Answers, A Closer Look At Microsoft's Instant Answers and A Closer Look at Yahoo Shortcuts....
Released AdWords Diagnostic Preview & Beta Tests Account Snapshot
Big day for AdWords, they released a neat way to quickly see the status of a particular keyword running in a campaign. As I explained with Google Launches AdWords Diagnostic Tool With Magnifying Glass, there should now be a little magnifying glass within your Ad Groups by each keyword, when clicked, it should open a little DHTML box with the status and health of that keyword phrase. Google is also testing an "Account Snapshot" feature, as reported at SEO Optimise, that shows a screen shot of a new page that shows a snapshot of your account on one page. The...
Advertisers Can Site Target Specific AdSense Publisher Channels
As an advertiser, there are often times when you want to site target a particular site running AdSense, but your particular product or service is really only relevant to a specific portion of the site. Or you might only want your ads running in a specific ad unit, such as the one running above the fold front and center. Google has released a new custom channel targeting feature that will allow advertisers to do that....
Microsoft & Yahoo Acquisitions Charted
Via VentureBeat, Acquisition Mashup: Google-Microsoft-Yahoo from Shmula is a nice chart listing acquisitions by Google, Yahoo and Microsoft together. Click on any item to learn more about the purchase. I wish there was a way to reduce the font size, so that you could see more of the chart -- or perhaps a way to make it go vertical, rather than horizontal. Still, very cool. Related, see this analysis of some Google acquisitions by Bill over at SEO By The Sea, this list from Wikipedia for Google, this chart for Google from Tristan Louis and this expanded chart based...
Microsoft, Ask & Fox On Google At Web 2.0
Photo from kennejima at Flickr Yesterday, Ask and Microsoft talked about taking on Google at the Web 2.0 Summit. But honestly, the highlight for me was the image of Microsoft's Steve Berkowitz sitting next to Ask's Jim Lanzone. Lanzone use to work for Steve, then took over his spot running Ask when Steve left. Both remain good friends, and it was cool to see them up on that panel side by side. ZDNet covered what they said, plus they have an even better side-by-side photo. Jim's push in taking on Google is that its vulnerability is being distracted by...
Shows Off Selected Contributions From The Time Capsule
RedOrbit reports that Yahoo has presented selected contributions from the Yahoo Time Capsule project at the ancient pueblo of Jemez in New Mexico. The 15-hour presentation showed off pictures, videos, poems and stories from thousands of people who have uploaded files up to the Yahoo Time Capsule. The contributions were also "sent into space via a digital laser light beam from the canyon" in New Mexico. Reportedly, over 70,000 multimedia files were submitted to the Yahoo project since opening up on October 10th....
Video Sued, Plus More Info From New SEC Filing
The Associate Press reports that Google Video was actually sued for copyright infringement but yet, Google did not reveal who actually sued them. The lawsuit was disclosed by Google via a quarterly filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission (link via Gary, but we do not know much more. PaidContent reports (site currently down), that Google may loan YouTube money prior to closing the deal with them, in order to help them settle or battle certain lawsuits....
Offers Free Transactions For Google Checkout Merchants To Compete With PayPal
Over the past few days, everyone was talking about Google Checkout is offering free transactions throughout the remainder of the year. The LA Times reports that this move is to compete with PayPal by encouraging PayPal merchants to give Google Checkout a try. They also have Eric Schmidt saying that the purpose behind Google Checkout is to "generate commissions and encourage more merchants to buy ads." I believe so far, many merchants are not quick to adopt Google Checkout....
Sends Porn Worm To 50,000+ Subscribers
'Porn' worm sent to 50,000 after Google blunder from Silicon.com covers how Google accidentally sent a worm to the official Google Video Blog email list The worm apparently, which came in the form of pornography sent to the group, which had over 50,000 subscribers at the time. The Kama Sutra email, also known as W32/Kapser.A worm, was "designed to overwrite files on infected computers on a specific date." If you got this email and downloaded the file, it is important that you run antivirus software on your computer. Google promised to try to not do that again. Postscript From Danny:...
Headlines & News From Elsewhere
- Big Ad Properties Get Over 70 Percent of Traffic from Outside U.S., ClickZ
- Adwords Quality Update II = Price Gouging Round II, Threadwatch
- Podcast: Microsoft And Ask Talk Taking On Google; Search Acquisitions Charted; Does Digg Beat Google For Breaking News & More!, Daily SearchCast
- Ad:tech NYC: Another Huge Showing, ClickZ
- Ringing up the Yahoo Linksys phone, News.com
- Single Ajax Interface For Yahoo Mail & IM Coming, TechCrunch
- The Coming Storm: Search And Consumer Privacy, MediaPost
- Get lost!, Official Google Blog (IE, Google Maps on Helio phone get GPS support)
- Add Any YouTube Video You iLike to iTunes, Marketing Pilgrim
- MarketWatch.com Adds Blog Search, MediaPost
- '06 Election Coverage: Heard on the (K) Street, ClickZ
- 19 Things You Won't Hear at Pubcon, Graywolf
- AOL, MSFT, GOOG: What Are They Doing in the Sandbox?, TechCrunch
- Best of Google Earth, Google Blogoscoped
- Intel Invests In Five Social Media Tools Firms; Part Of Its Web 2.0 Enterprise Suite, PaidContent.org
- Nouveau Meta Tags for SEO, Natural Search Blog
- Grouper's ScreenBites gives you famous video/TV clips, VentureBeat
- How to get your company on TechCrunch, Robert Scoble
- The Web 2.0 bootleg tapes, Robert Scoble
- The Anatomy of a Search Marketing Scholarship Contest, Marketing Pilgrim
- Old Media and New Media: Friends, Not Foes, BusinessWeek
- Put a Google Map on any image, Robert Scoble
- Digg Beats Google News on the Rumsfeld Story, Micro Persuasion
- Syncing Google Calendar with your Palm,
- Scoop: Weblogs Inc. sells Blogsmith to AOL, Valleywag
- The Net's next phase, Fortune
- Google Displaying Really Long Snippets?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Podcast: Google AdWords Update, MSN Search Update, PageRank Update, SEO, PubCon Coverage, Firefox, JotSpot, Yahoo! Eggs, & More, Search Pulse
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Early Bird rates available through Sept 12. Register today!