Below, a recap of stories posted today to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with other items we've spotted but not blogged separately:
From The SEW Blog...
- Hack Reveals How To Remove Sites From MSN Live Search?
Boogybonbon.com has revealed how you can potentially de-list your competitor's site from Microsoft's search engine. In short, most sites return a 200 status header for when you go to a page like domain.com/index.html?test=test or domain.com/index.html?test=test1234, etc. You can play on that by convincing Microsoft that a particular site has hundreds or thousands of duplicate pages, and at some point, Microsoft may penalize the site with a duplicate content penalty, where they de-list your site and home page. That is the short story, if you want the long write up visit Boogybonbon.com. Postscript: Other coverage at Threadwatch and Search Engine Watch...
- Battelle "Grilled" Schmidt On Google Video, Google Docs & More
PC Magazine has an excellent write up on John Battelle's interview with Eric Schmidt, CEO of Google at the Web 2.0 conference named Google's Schmidt Grilled At Conference . John Battelle (which PC Mag spelled wrong), sat with Eric Schmidt for 30 minutes and asked him tough questions on YouTube, Google Docs & Spreadsheets and more. For example, Battelle asked, "So why did you buy YouTube? Was Google Video not doing well?" Battelle then noted that Google Docs and Spreadsheets were a Microsoft Office replacement, in which Schmidt replied, "We don't see it as a replacement of Office. The focus...
- New AdWords Algorithm Kicks In; Google Advertisers Upset
Earlier this week, we reported that Google will be launching a new landing page quality score algorithm for AdWords ranking and pricing. It has now been released and Google AdWords advertisers are speaking up. It appears, like in the past, this update is forcing many advertisers to bid higher for their keywords, in order to realize top placement and clicks on their ads. There are a ton of good write ups already on this topic, so let me send you to the ones I found....
- Search Forums Roundup: Nov. 10, 2006
Today's SearchDay, Search Engine Forums Spotlight, features our weekly links to this week's hot topics from search engine forums across the web: Cloaking for Religious Reasons - Is Link-bait Ruining The Web? - Yahoo To Test Image Advertising On Mobile Phones - Shopping Cart Abandonment Rates - The Reality Of SEO, and more....
- Groowe Toolbar Gets Digg & Delicious Support
Groowe is that rare product promising to improve search that I've stuck with over the years. Indeed, this toolbar that lets you search multiple search engines is on my list of new things I always install on a new computer. Now version 1.5 for Firefox is out, with new support for Digg and Delicious. Fantastic!...
- Google, Microsoft And The '3-D Web'
When Microsoft launched its Live Local/Virtual Earth 3-D platform earlier this week, the memorable quote from Virtual Earth GM Stephen Lawler was, "It's the beginning of the 3-D Web." As a factual matter that statement may not be entirely accurate, but symbolically it is....
Headlines & News From Elsewhere
- Orkut Is Adult-Only, Google Blogoscoped
- Gmail Adds New Features, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google a Diagnosis: Search Engine May Help With Difficult Cases, Bloomberg
- Doctors use Google for diagnosis, The Inquirer
- Google… the OS for Advertising, GigaOM
- Marketing Pilgrim SEM Scholarship Winner Announced, Marketing Pilgrim
- Advertise With AdWords on Orkut?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Yahoo planning a 180 on Yahoo 360, ZDNet.com
- ReviewMe Launches: A Better PayPerPost, Techcrunch
- Google says speed is king, News.com
- Microsoft adCenter Optimization Tutorial, adCenter Blog
- The number of pages Googlebot crawls, Official Google Webmaster Central Blog
- Case Study: Digg Versus Google News Traffic, Daggle
- Marisa Mayer on Googley Lessons, John Battelle
- New Paper Discusses Blocking Blog Spam That Requires No Training and No Hard-Coded Results, ResourceShelf
- Yahoo's Orange Search Buttons and Variable Wording: Search, Web Search, Search The Web and Others, ResearchShelf
- Yahoo Closing The Door On Click Fraud?, SeekingAlpha
- Google tools for SMBs (Part 2 of 2), Inside AdWords Blog
- adCenter Content Ads Beta Changing URLs, PPC Discussions
- Yahoo! Testing Mobile Banner Ads, CrunchGear
- IACI's Ask.com Gaining Search Share, SeekingAlpha
Optimising Digital Marketing Campaigns with Search, Social and Analytics
At SES London (9-11 Feb) you'll get an overview of the latest tools, tips, and tactics in Paid, Owned, Earned, Integrated Media and Business Intelligence to streamline your marketing campaigns in 2015. Register by 31 October to take advantage of Early Bird Rates.