Below, a recap of stories posted today to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with other items we've spotted but not blogged separately:
From The SEW Blog...
- Video Search Beyond YouTube
Google's recent purchase of YouTube is yet another sign that video search is one of the hottest areas on the web today. But while YouTube seems synonymous with video on the web, there are many other video search services available, and many offer valuable tools and features not found elsewhere. In today's SearchDay article, Video Search Made the Internet Star, SEW managing editor Elisabeth Osmeloski take a look at a number of these video search services....
- New Demographic Heatmaps From HotPads
HotPads is a map-based rental housing search site. The site has launched new heatmaps that contain interesting demographic information showing such data as age, income, percentage of renters and average rent. For example, here's per capita income in Mahattan. I have some thoughts on what this means for ad targeting on my blog. The site previously created mashups for the November U.S. elections....
- Program Note: Danny & I Are In Vegas
Danny is currently on a plane to Vegas and I am already in Vegas. News here will probably be much slower than a normal week. Also, I think I will be including more items in headlines as opposed to blogging them individually. Finally, if you want to keep up what is going on at the WebmasterWorld PubCon conference, Chris, Donna and I will be providing live coverage from the event. Our coverage schedule is here and just check the Search Engine Roundtable for updates throughout the day....
- Google Officially Buys YouTube
Yesterday, Google announced that they have officially closed the deal on YouTube, acquiring them for "3,217,560 shares, and restricted stock units, options and a warrant exercisable for or convertible into an aggregate of 442,210 shares, of Google's Class A common stock." For more details, please check out the press release....
- AskTheLocal UK Shopping Search Engine
AskTheLocal is a shopping search engine with a subtle difference; rather than find websites that offer particular products it matches the search query with a postcode to enable shoppers to visit a shop in person to buy the product. Another important difference is the reference to 'postcode' rather than zip code, because AskTheLocal is a UK resource. The concept is very simple - retailers list their products with the search engine and users input their location and then search for products using free text terms rather than a listing or menu approach. The results screen then usually displays a photograph...
- InfoSpace Launches Kid-Friendly Search Engine Zoo.com
InfoSpace has launched kid-friendly search engine Zoo.com, which provides web and news search. Intentionally there is no image search at launch. The content comes from Google, Yahoo and Wikipedia with news content from ABC News, Fox News and Yahoo News. Zoo.com uses several methods to screen out adult sites and phrases and doesn't generate results for some queries. For example, a search for "sex" yields zero results....
WebmasterWorld PubCon Vegas 2006 Roundtable Coverage
- WebmasterWorld PubCon 2006 Conference Introduction, Search Engine Roundtable
- WebmasterWorld Pubcon Kickoff Keynote Address - Guy Kawasaki, Search Engine Roundtable
- Feeds, Blogs, News, and Social Search (FeedBurner, Digg, Topix), Search Engine Roundtable
- SEO and Big Search, Search Engine Roundtable
- Feeds and Other Alternative Optimization Opportunities, Search Engine Roundtable
- Link Development and Linking Optimization, Search Engine Roundtable
- Affiliate Strategies and Content Strategies, Search Engine Roundtable
- Feeding the Engines - Writing Copy, Search Engine Roundtable
- Corporate Mega Site SEO Management, Search Engine Roundtable
- Special Afternoon Keynote by Jon S Von Tetzchner of Opera, Search Engine Roundtable
Headlines & News From Elsewhere
- New Web service allows advertisers to zero in, Boston Business Journal
- Farecast Selling Airline Ticket Price Guarantees, Techcrunch
- Google Subpoena Related Report Publicized, Google Blogoscoped
- SEO Lawsuit, LED Digest
- Show your products on Live Search, adCenter Blog
- Jill's 12 Signs Your Wife — or Mom, Jill Whalen
- Google Showing "Internal IP" Info, Google Blogoscoped
- Yahoo vs Google Tennis Championship, Google Blogoscoped
- Google Takes Out Ajax Spreadsheet iRows, Techcrunch
- Myth busting: virtual hosts vs. dedicated IP addresses, Matt Cutts
- Yahoo can't speak Hebrew well, but it's trying, Jerusalem Post
- Google introduces customized home pages for groups, News.com
- HereUAre, Gigablast, 10 Billion, and Spam, Search Engine Showdown
- Yahoo Adds "Geolinks" to Mail, All Points Blog
- Google and Daum teaming up in Korea?, News.com
- The University of Virginia Library Joins the Google Books Library Project, Google
- Yahoo in Ad Distribution Deal with Vodafone, ClickZ
- More Earth for the Mac, Google Mac Blog
- The Times bows to Google, Valleywag
- Check out the new Sidebar, Google Desktop Blog
- Be Prepared, Yahoo! Search Marketing Blog
- Yahoo's Semel: Internet ad potential underestimated, News.com
- Google Maps adds "Click-to-call", juberjabber
- Google to buy first Israeli startup -report, Reuters
Last Week to Save on SES London Tickets!
Learn to engage customers and increase ROI by distributing your online marketing efforts across paid, owned & earned media. Join the leaders of today's digital marketing & advertising industry at SES London. Find out more ››
*Saver Rates expire this Friday, Dec 13.