Below, a recap of stories posted today to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with other items we've spotted but not blogged separately:
From The SEW Blog...
- New Compliance Manager from Yahoo Publisher Network
Yahoo Publisher Network has launched a new feature that alerts publishers to any compliancy issues within their account, such as URLs that contain content in direct violation of the YPN Terms. These alerts would show up on the homepage of a publisher's YPN account, meaning publishers don't need to worry about compliancy emails going astray. For full details and screenshots of the new compliance manager interface, visit JenSense....
- Verizon Spins Off Idearc
Idearc is the newly spun off parent of local search provider SuperPages.com. The company started trading today on the NYSE. The SuperPages brand, which survives the spin-off, will continue to publish Verizon yellow pages. SuperPages has been the most progressive of the incumbent YP sites in embracing new business models (PPClick/Call) and consumer trends (ratings and reviews). Indeed, SuperPages sees itself not as a “yellow pages” per se but as a local search and shopping resource. Let's see how far the company pushes that metaphor now that it's on its own....
- Yahoo Integrates Answers Into Search Results
Yahoo has finally officially integrated Yahoo Answers into the Yahoo Search results, according to an email we received from the company. We reported back a month and a half ago that Yahoo Tests Enhanced Yahoo Answers Integration In Search Results but now everyone can see it for themselves by conducting a search for vacation ideas. If you do not see it, I have posted a screen capture below of the before and after....
- Yahoo Strikes Deal With 176 Newspapers
The New York Times reports that Yahoo has struck a deal with 176 newspapers, consisting of a 7 newspaper chains to "share content, advertising and technology." The first part of the deal will promote Yahoo's HotJobs site, where newspapers will post the local jobs to HotJobs and use HotJobs's technology on their local newspaper site for classifieds listings. Then Yahoo wants to make these newspapers content more accessible within Yahoo's search index, local news and other search services. Greg Sterling has more information at his blog. Postscript From Danny: As a reminder, Google cut a deal for its Google News...
- Google Testing Map Quick Link Under Search Results
Threadwatch screen captured Google testing out placing a link to Google maps results directly below the search result's description and above the url of that result. It is a limited test, and I am not able to reproduce it, but Matt Cutts of Google has confirmed this as a real test. As long as it is useful to the query and the searcher, I am happy with it also....
- Yahoo Exec Releases Jerry Maguire-Style Reform Memo
Over the weekend, an email from Yahoo senior vice president Brad Garlinghouse was released by the Wall Street Journal covering how Garlinghouse fears Yahoo's resources are spread too thinly (like peanut butter on a sandwich) and that massive reforms, along with firings, are needed. Some excerpts:...
- Search Forums Roundup: Nov. 17, 2006
Today's SearchDay, Search Engine Forums Spotlight, features our weekly links to this week's hot topics from search engine forums across the web: Hack Your Competition Out of Organic Search - MSN And Yahoo Join Google With Sitemaps - How Local Search And SEM Relates - What to Look for When Purchasing Links? - What Tools Does An SEO Guru Use? and more....
Headlines & News From Elsewhere
- Answers.com Adds Content from Yahoo Answers, ResourceShelf
- Virtual Earth 3D beta: A new dimension for mapping and Live Search, MSN Search Blog
- The Quality of the Live Search Click, adCenter Blog
- Danny's Search Engine Land Site Opens In December; Search Engines Unite On Sitemaps; Yahoo Exec Calls For Cuts & More!, Daily SearchCast
- Second Life Hit By Massive In-Game Worm, Slashdot
- WebmasterWorld vs. Web 2.0 Summit, Topix.net Weblog
- Use Google Pages without worrying about spammers, Googling Google
- How Do I Get Large Websites Indexed by Google & Other Search Engines?, SEO Book.com
- Confusion Over Google's Supplemental Index, Search Engine Roundtable
- Microsoft Banning Sites from Live.com For Link Exchanges, Search Engine Roundtable
- Limited Google.com Result Changes Taking Place?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Statistics: Online Marketing Advertising Estimates for 210 U.S. Markets, ResourceShelf
- Google News in trouble - again, Pandia
- Google CEO donates $2 million to Virginia Tech, TG Daily
- Google Completes Pittsburgh Office, Holds Open House, The Pittsburgh Channel
- The word "spam", Tim Converse
- Making Media with Yahoo! Video, Yahoo! Video Team Blog
- What Google's Quality Score Is & What It Is Not, Jonathan Mendez's Blog
- MyBlogLog to be Acquired by Yahoo!, Techcrunch
Meet Your Favorite Search Engine Watch Contributors
Many of SEW's leading expert contributors will be at ClickZ Live, the new online and digital marketing event kicking off in New York (March 31-April 3). Hear from the likes of: Thom Craver, Josh Braaten, Lisa Barone, Simon Heseltine, Josh McCoy, Lisa Raehsler, Greg Jarboe, Dan Cristo, Joseph Kerschbaum, John Gagnon, Eric Enge and more!