A selection of stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Make ROI Your New Year's Resolution
Search marketers who blame Google's latest algorithm shift or quality score update for their traffic woes are like brick and mortar store owners blaming the city for their poor customer traffic, says Bryan Eisenberg in today's SearchDay.
- Yahoo Site Explorer Gets Updates
Yahoo has updated its tool for webmasters that shares what Yahoo knows about your site in terms of indexed pages and links.
- Click Fraud Numbers Up, Content Networks Near 20%
A Click Forensics report found 2006 click fraud numbers reached 14.2% overall and 19.2 for clicks from search engine content networks. High-spend terms (clicks of $2 or more) averaged 20.9% click fraud.
- Searchforvideo.com Adds Drop Down Search Functionality
The online video clip directory, which aggregates and indexes references to video clips but does not host or stream online video content, has added drop-down search functionality to select individual online video publishers.
- SEMPO Names Board of Directors Nominees
There are 37 nominees for the SEMPO board of directors, which will be narrowed to 13 by members next month.
- Yahoo Keyword Tool Not Dead Yet
Earlier reports that Yahoo's keyword research tool is being discontinued are not true, according to a Yahoo spokesperson. Apparently, issues with the Keyword Selector Tool being inaccessible are due to volume, and the tool is not in danger of disappearing.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Who Cares About Slightly Better Search Engines, v7n
- Why We Can't Trust Click Fraud Numbers, Marketing Pilgrim
- Google Steps Up Local OneBoxes, Bruce Clay Blog
- Most SEOs are crooks?, Marketing Pilgrim
- Online Forecast to Hit 20 Percent of Total '07 Ad Spending, ClickZ
- Lloyd Braun Resurfaces; Launching Multiplatform Production Firm With Gail Berman, paidContent
- New sunrise layer on Google Earth, Google Blog
- Right Media launches RMX Direct for publishers, DMNews
- 25 Things to Think About Widgets, Yahoo Publisher Network blog
- Pre-roll Ads Could Send YouTubers Running, WebProNews
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Early Bird rates available through Sept 12. Register today!