Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Think Like a Search Engineer
Understanding the way search engineers think can help you decide whether or not a new idea is worth trying. Knowing when you are taking risks, or making the decision to avoid them, can help scale your search engine marketing strategy to new heights.
- Will Splinter Communities Work?
Web publishers are scrambling to provide their own outlets for user-generated content. This could be interesting to search marketers, especially if we're able to reach bloggers or amateur video makers within more defined and splintered communities.
- What Personalization Means to SEOs
Has the reliance on rankings held back search marketers and their clients from doing some more advanced marketing?
- Google Clarifies Some Webmaster Guidelines
Google has made some minor changes to its Webmaster guidelines, which appear to be aimed at clarifying policies rather than substantially changing them.
- Diller Sings Praises of SEO
Speaking at the McGraw-Hill Media Summit in New York today, IAC's Barry Diller grumbled about a lot of things, but not SEO.
- Yahoo Adds Narrow Search Builder Template
Yahoo today made some design enhancements to its Search Builder custom search engine.
- Rand Fishkin, the SUPER Man
Rand Fishkin of SEOmoz comes clean with a super secret... he was "that guy" who wanted to propose to his girlfriend during a Super Bowl commercial. She said yes.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- New Google Webmaster Tools and Tools for those new Tools, Search Engine Journal
- Women of Internet Marketing Wednesday Part 9 -- Women of SEW, Search Marketing Gurus
- Personalized Search Brouhaha, Out of My Gord
- SEOs vs. SMMs: Like It or Not, Digg Is an 800 Lb. Organic Gorilla, Tropical SEO
- Where's My Stuff?, Yahoo Search Marketing Blog
- Searching For "The Next Google", Search Engine Land
- Click Forensics Battles Back Against Google Claims, WebProNews
- 7 Strategy Challenges for Effective Online Marketers, GrokDotCom
- Touchdown! GoDaddy Discovers Online Conversion, GrokDotCom
- Salesgenie.com Super Bowl ad generates 10,000 registrations, DMNews
- MySpace's Deal With Google Hits a Bump, With eBay In The Middle: WSJ, paidContent
- Avoiding the Most Common Web Analytics Pitfalls, ClickZ
Optimising Digital Marketing Campaigns with Search, Social and Analytics
At SES London (9-11 Feb) you'll get an overview of the latest tools, tips, and tactics in Paid, Owned, Earned, Integrated Media and Business Intelligence to streamline your marketing campaigns in 2015. Register by 31 October to take advantage of Early Bird Rates.