Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Think Like a Search Engineer
Understanding the way search engineers think can help you decide whether or not a new idea is worth trying. Knowing when you are taking risks, or making the decision to avoid them, can help scale your search engine marketing strategy to new heights.
- Will Splinter Communities Work?
Web publishers are scrambling to provide their own outlets for user-generated content. This could be interesting to search marketers, especially if we're able to reach bloggers or amateur video makers within more defined and splintered communities.
- What Personalization Means to SEOs
Has the reliance on rankings held back search marketers and their clients from doing some more advanced marketing?
- Google Clarifies Some Webmaster Guidelines
Google has made some minor changes to its Webmaster guidelines, which appear to be aimed at clarifying policies rather than substantially changing them.
- Diller Sings Praises of SEO
Speaking at the McGraw-Hill Media Summit in New York today, IAC's Barry Diller grumbled about a lot of things, but not SEO.
- Yahoo Adds Narrow Search Builder Template
Yahoo today made some design enhancements to its Search Builder custom search engine.
- Rand Fishkin, the SUPER Man
Rand Fishkin of SEOmoz comes clean with a super secret... he was "that guy" who wanted to propose to his girlfriend during a Super Bowl commercial. She said yes.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- New Google Webmaster Tools and Tools for those new Tools, Search Engine Journal
- Women of Internet Marketing Wednesday Part 9 -- Women of SEW, Search Marketing Gurus
- Personalized Search Brouhaha, Out of My Gord
- SEOs vs. SMMs: Like It or Not, Digg Is an 800 Lb. Organic Gorilla, Tropical SEO
- Where's My Stuff?, Yahoo Search Marketing Blog
- Searching For "The Next Google", Search Engine Land
- Click Forensics Battles Back Against Google Claims, WebProNews
- 7 Strategy Challenges for Effective Online Marketers, GrokDotCom
- Touchdown! GoDaddy Discovers Online Conversion, GrokDotCom
- Salesgenie.com Super Bowl ad generates 10,000 registrations, DMNews
- MySpace's Deal With Google Hits a Bump, With eBay In The Middle: WSJ, paidContent
- Avoiding the Most Common Web Analytics Pitfalls, ClickZ
Twitter Canada MD Kirstine Stewart to Keynote Toronto
ClickZ Live Toronto (May 14-16) is a new event addressing the rapidly changing landscape that digital marketers face. The agenda focuses on customer engagement and attaining maximum ROI through online marketing efforts across paid, owned & earned media. Register now and save!