Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Jason Calacanis Hates SEOs, But Loves What SEOs Do
The fundamental problem here is the definition of SEO. Calacanis extols the value of clean page design, great content, and solid Web design. Guess what? So does every reputable SEO firm.
- SEMPO Releases North American Search Report
SEMPO has released its latest "State of Search Engine Marketing 2006" report.
- Don't take the (link) bait
At its core, marketing your web site is about building trust, building a good reputation, and effective marketing techniques. The term "bait" makes the whole thing sound like a game, when marketing your web site needs to be serious business.
- New Search Ad Management Tools Launched
New search ad management platforms from ChannelAdvisor and iProspect launched this week.
- Yahoo Launches Pipes, an RSS Remixing Tool
Yahoo has unveiled a new data manipulation/mashup platform called Yahoo Pipes, "a hosted service that lets you remix feeds and create new data mashups in a visual programming environment."
- Video Advertising Gets Local
If you bring in targeting capabilities and content volumes possible with IPTV and Web-delivered video, a compounding factor could be more favorable economies and a "long tail" effect of available ad inventory.
- Lycos Jumps Into the Social Mix
Lycos MIX, a new bookmarking tool, lets users pull video clips from a variety of different sources across the Web.
- Welcome New SEW Bloggers
A warm welcome to our two new Search Engine Watch blog correspondents, Eric Enge and Grant Crowell.
- Miva Cutting Work Force By 20%
Miva announced today it has a restructuring plan that calls for a 20% reduction in its workforce.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Why Links Matter: So Simple a Monkey Could Understand It, Sugarrae
- SEO Is So Easy - Oh Wait No It's Not, ShoeMoney
- SEOs - Slimebuckets or Geniuses?, Marketing Pilgrim
- More on Personalized Search, Biznology
- Microsoft Finally Promoting Live Search?, Search Marketing Gurus
- Yahoo Prepares "Infront" Event to Upstage TV Upfront, ClickZ
- Now Leaving for Panama, Biznology
- Do You Know How Searchers Behave?, Biznology
- Why The SEO Folks Were Mad At You, Jason, Search Engine Land
- Some "SEO is bulls#$t" fallout
- SEOs vs. SMMs: Like It or Not, Digg Is an 800 Lb. Organic Gorilla, Tropical SEO
- Avoiding the Most Common Web Analytics Pitfalls, ClickZ
Twitter Canada MD Kirstine Stewart to Keynote Toronto
ClickZ Live Toronto (May 14-16) is a new event addressing the rapidly changing landscape that digital marketers face. The agenda focuses on customer engagement and attaining maximum ROI through online marketing efforts across paid, owned & earned media. Register now and save!