Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Freebase: the Next Google-Killer or Over-Hyped Start-Up?
The New York Times is once again breathlessly heralding the "launch" of a Google-killer. This time it's Metaweb Technologies' plans to create a semantic Web database, to be called Freebase, which founder Danny Hillis envisions as "a centralized repository that is more like a digital almanac."
- MySpace Planning Social News Site
Fox Interactive Media plans to launch MySpace News, a social news site similar to Digg.
- Does Site Search Matter For The Mags?
Site search among the top 50 consumer magazines is lacking, and they may be missing out on the upside traffic and revenue potential for their brands online.
- Wikia Search Plans Progressing
Jimmy Wales continues to press ahead with his search engine plan, saying that collaborative search technology could transform the power structure of the Internet.
- Yahoo Answers Gets Friendly
Earlier this week, Yahoo launched a beta of the new Answers Network, which adds some social networking features to its Yahoo Answers product.
- PPC Wish Lists, Part 3
Kevin Lee wraps up his PPC advertisers' wishlist for search engines in his ClickZ column today.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Ex-My Yahoo Boss, Now Pageflakes CEO, Responds to My Yahoo Beta, Read/Write Web
- AT&T-Yahoo Partnership, Up In 2008, Likely Won't Be The Same—If Extended, paidContent
- Hitting the Landing Page Optimization Wall, GrokDotCom
- Yahoo! Search Builder and Getting More Pages Indexed by Yahoo!, Ramblings About SEO
- NotWikiaSari to Revolutionize 5% of Search, Marketing Pilgrim
- Patent: Google Phone knows what you want before you search, Mad4mobilephones
- Turn of the century SEO is now PPC, eWhisper
- Does anyone ever tell you the web won't work for their business?, 10e20
- Build Community First, Monetize Last, Conversations Monetized
- Customer happiness & webanalytics, Web Analytics Book
This Year's Premier Digital Marketing Event is #CZLSF
ClickZ Live San Francisco (Aug 11-14) will bring together the industry's leading online marketing practitioners to deliver 4 days of educational sessions and training workshops. From Data-Driven Marketing to Social, Mobile, Display, Search and Email, the comprehensive agenda will help you maximize your marketing efforts and ROI. Register today!