Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Freebase: the Next Google-Killer or Over-Hyped Start-Up?
The New York Times is once again breathlessly heralding the "launch" of a Google-killer. This time it's Metaweb Technologies' plans to create a semantic Web database, to be called Freebase, which founder Danny Hillis envisions as "a centralized repository that is more like a digital almanac."
- MySpace Planning Social News Site
Fox Interactive Media plans to launch MySpace News, a social news site similar to Digg.
- Does Site Search Matter For The Mags?
Site search among the top 50 consumer magazines is lacking, and they may be missing out on the upside traffic and revenue potential for their brands online.
- Wikia Search Plans Progressing
Jimmy Wales continues to press ahead with his search engine plan, saying that collaborative search technology could transform the power structure of the Internet.
- Yahoo Answers Gets Friendly
Earlier this week, Yahoo launched a beta of the new Answers Network, which adds some social networking features to its Yahoo Answers product.
- PPC Wish Lists, Part 3
Kevin Lee wraps up his PPC advertisers' wishlist for search engines in his ClickZ column today.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Ex-My Yahoo Boss, Now Pageflakes CEO, Responds to My Yahoo Beta, Read/Write Web
- AT&T-Yahoo Partnership, Up In 2008, Likely Won't Be The Same—If Extended, paidContent
- Hitting the Landing Page Optimization Wall, GrokDotCom
- Yahoo! Search Builder and Getting More Pages Indexed by Yahoo!, Ramblings About SEO
- NotWikiaSari to Revolutionize 5% of Search, Marketing Pilgrim
- Patent: Google Phone knows what you want before you search, Mad4mobilephones
- Turn of the century SEO is now PPC, eWhisper
- Does anyone ever tell you the web won't work for their business?, 10e20
- Build Community First, Monetize Last, Conversations Monetized
- Customer happiness & webanalytics, Web Analytics Book
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Early Bird rates available through Sept 12. Register today!