Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- The Webification of SMBs
Drawing business owners online with the promise of a free and easy Web presence is the first step in getting them to become advertisers or subscribers to other online services.
- Can "Visits" Replace the Pageview?
In an attempt to provide advertisers with a new way to measure site traffic and engagement, comScore has added a new metric to its Media Metrix reports: the visit.
- Adam Lasnik Comments on Spam Complaints and Dupe Content
Adam addresses the processing of spam complaints in the Google Webmaster Help group.
- Lenovo to Pre-Load Windows Live Toolbar
Microsoft announced its first major distribution deal for Windows Live services, including desktop access to the Windows Live portal and a pre-loaded Windows Live toolbar on Lenovo's computers.
- John Marshall and Eric Enge Talk About Click Fraud
The Clicktracks CEO talks about what click fraud really is, how pervasive it is, and what the search engines are doing about it.
- Microsoft Confirms Tellme Acquisition
The rumors that Microsoft was about to acquire voice-enabled mobile search provider Tellme have been confirmed, with an announcement from Microsoft today.
- Google Audio Ads Expands Beta
Google's Audio Ads team issued an invitation to advertisers to join the beta test of Audio Ads, which began in December.
- What Makes Good Content Great?
Some content is good, and will contribute to a site's overall visibility in the SERPs and garner some inbound links. Great content is action-oriented, inspiring users to make a conversion.
- Get Your Sponsors First?
A new wave of media buyers who represent major brands are looking to online video.
- Topix.net buys .com domain, worries about Google rankings
Topix.net, the news search site owned by Gannett, McClatchy and Tribune, has bought its .com domain for $1 million, and now needs to figure out what to do with it.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Five Link Development Experts: A Group Interview, Sugarrae
- Does Your Content Demand to be Passed On?, Biznology
- Is Google Changing Its Position on Net Neutrality?, GigaOm
- Add Work.com to B2B Link Building Campaigns, Search Engine Journal
- The 5 Secrets PPC Agencies Don't Want You to Know, Search Engine Land
- A Modest Proposal To YHOO and MSFT: Spin Out A Search Company, John Battelle
- 'Search Me' Ads Drive People to Web, AdRants
- Transform SEO Challenges into Opportunities (all about the spin), SEM/SEO In-House Blog
- In Defense of Big, Bad, Google ;), GrokDotCom
- Can Google Clean Up Its SERPs with AJAX?, Bruce Clay Blog
- The Cost of No SEO Migration Plan, Online Marketing Blog
- Targeting the Social Behavior, ClickZ
- Search and Social Nets Compared, Screenwerk
- The Battle Between Search Engine Optimization and Conversion: Who Wins?, GrokDotCom
- The Second Coming of MSN, iMedia Connection
- Dave Sifry's dizzying strategy, ValleyWag
- Bloggers Face-Off: Rand Fishkin vs. Lee Odden, Daily Blog Tips
- Welcome Avinash!, Google Analytics Blog
- If Your Page Ranks Well, You'd Better Be Messing With It, SEOmoz
Optimising Digital Marketing Campaigns with Search, Social and Analytics
At SES London (9-11 Feb) you'll get an overview of the latest tools, tips, and tactics in Paid, Owned, Earned, Integrated Media and Business Intelligence to streamline your marketing campaigns in 2015. Register by 31 October to take advantage of Early Bird Rates.