Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- SES NY is Coming -- Plan Your Party Schedule Now
The big event is almost upon us, and the party schedule is now available.
- ZoomInfo Retools Its Business Info Search
Business information search engine ZoomInfo has retooled its offering to create a single user interface for its various products.
- Search-Related April Fools' Round-Up
The engines made their customary attempts at springtime humor, with varying success.
- Is Yahoo Underground an April Fool's Joke?
Yahoo Underground "explores America's fringe cultures with reporting brought to life with original songs and music." Is it real, or a poorly conceived joke?
- Topix Relaunches as Citizen Journalism Site
Topix is repositioning and relaunching its local news aggregation site as a citizen journalism network.
- Rich Skrenta, Google, Vertical Search
Rich Skrenta, CEO of Topix, recently offered up some strategies for beating Google. One suggestion is going vertical, a tactic being taken by many up-and-coming search companies.
- Who's Buying DoubleClick?
Last week, Microsoft was the rumored acquirer of DoubleClick's remaining businesses. This week, Google is supposedly the frontrunner.
- MSNBC takes on Yahoo News
MSNBC.com, the No. 2-ranked news Web site behind Yahoo News, is starting its first branding ad campaign this week.
- No Action for Triple X
ICANN Board members rejected the application for a new .xxx top level domain yesterday. After reading through how the board voted and their meeting commentary, I can safely report that the TLD approval process seems broken.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- About the New Orleans imagery in Google Maps and Earth, Google Blog
- Local Search: More Is Not Always Better, Search Engine Land
- How Did You Learn SEO?, SEOmoz
- Microsoft bCentral Submit It Deadline Announced, Marketing Pilgrim
- Link Bait vs Digg Bait, Online Marketing Blog
- Quintura - Are UI Innovations Enough?, Read/Write Web
- Search Tip: Audit Your Cost Data, Rimm-Kaufman Group Blog
- Evaluating Search Results and Protecting the Innocent, ClickZ
- Compete Knows How Much Time You Waste on YouTube, TechCrunch
- Cats and Mice: The Shifting Sea of Search Results, SEO Book
- Charting trends, SEO Theory
- Quantifying Lead Quality, ClickZ
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Early Bird rates available through Sept 12. Register today!