Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Google Tests TV Advertising
Google's rumored foray into managing television ads with its AdWords platform has entered the next phase with a limited trial program over EchoStar's Dish Network across the U.S. and Astound Cable, a local cable system in the Bay Area.
- Compete Develops Attention-Based Metrics
With the interactive Web, the value of the page view as a metric is debatable since the user can in fact change the page without leaving it. What begs for meaningful measurement is engagement. To address this Compete, an online consumer market research firm, has developed and launched attention-based Web metrics.
- E-consultancy publishes online PR briefing
E-consultancy has published an Online PR Briefing, which includes a summary of a recent roundtable discussion on this topic, plus other information about market trends, search statistics and useful resources.
- Medical Vertical Search Being Chased by Microsoft and Google
Both Google and Microsoft are making serious investments in the healthcare vertical search space.
- FAST Acquires Convera's Retrievalware Technology
Norwegian search technology provider FAST Search & Transfer has picked up Virginia-based Convera's RetrievalWare enterprise search business for $23 million in cash.
- fisssh!, a meta search engine, is launched
HGi Media Systems has announced the launch of fisssh!, a new meta search engine that aggregates search results for queries across different types of search and presents them in a more "editorial" format.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Microsoft bCentral Submit It Deadline Announced, Marketing Pilgrim
- Is link bait dying as a search engine optimization technique?, Jennifer Slegg
- Google's Core Competency Does Not Translate To Offline Media — But That May Work To Google's Advantage, Publishing 2.0
- New Version of Live Maps Launches, Windows Live Maps Blog
- Ranking Factors Version 2 Released, SEOmoz
- The Impending Social Search Inflection Point, Search Engine Land
- Should You Outsource Link Development in SEO?, Search Engine Roundtable
- How To Sell That Thing You Sell, Search Engine Guide
- Why Google Television will NOT make money, ZDNet Digital Markets
- Compete Knows How Much Time You Waste on YouTube, TechCrunch
- Cats and Mice: The Shifting Sea of Search Results, SEO Book
- Charting trends, SEO Theory
- Evaluating Search Results and Protecting the Innocent, ClickZ
- Quantifying Lead Quality, ClickZ
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Early Bird rates available through Sept 12. Register today!