Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- The Search Neighborhood is Changing
Greg Jarboe compares the changes in the search industry to gentrification of old neighborhoods, where a working-class area becomes suddenly trendy and all sorts of new folks move in, often pushing out the old inhabitants.
- DoubleClick Takes Ad Exchange on the Road
Apparently DoubleClick's new ad exchange is a bit more than vaporware, or a pretty bow to put on the package to entice potential acquirers.
- Click Quality Council Outlines 8 Principles of Click Quality
The Click Quality Council, an anti-click fraud group created by PPC auditing firm Click Forensics, has issued a set of eight principles it feels are necessary to produce quality clicks.
- Superpages.com Revises Ad Algorithm
Using an algorithm that makes it more closely resemble Google's AdWords and Yahoo Search Marketing's Panama platform, Superpages will begin ranking ads based on criteria like relevance and performance, in addition to bids.
- Images and videos appear at top of Yahoo News results
Over the past two days, images and videos have started to appear at the top of results pages for relevant queries on Yahoo News.
- NearbyNow in 100 Cities by the Holidays
Local search company NearbyNow has built a unique model that helps shopping mall retailers bring in foot traffic by putting their product info and inventory online.
- The Simpsons on Search
This YouTube clip shows Marge Simpson googling herself, and engaging in a variety of search-related activities.
- Meet the Newest Link Love Columnist, Sage Lewis
In his first contribution, Prevention is the Best Medicine: Don't Let Viral Campaigns Get Sick and Die, Lewis diagnoses problems with the most feverish trend in link building -- viral marketing campaigns.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- How To Detect Problematic Customers Before They Become Paying Customers, SearchRank
- Do Search Marketers Need Another Ad Vendor?, Biznology
- Are Google's Search Results Algorithmic or Editorial?, SEO Book
- Google Gunning for Microsoft; Microsoft Gunning for Google, Marketing Pilgrim
- The Privacy Engine: Ask.com or MSN Live's Big Comeback Opportunity, Tropical SEO
- TrueLocal Explains Strange SERPs, Small Business SEM
- Google's Last Dance! Could Semantic Search Mean The End Of Google?, 15 Digital Marketing
- Information industry must join the Wikipedia community, Information World Review
- Search Engine Shoot-Out, PC World
- Local.com to Offer Premium Search Listings for Annual Fee, ClickZ
- Identifying & Calling out Web Spam on Search Engine Blogs, SEOmoz
- Academic Debate over Trademark Use in Commerce, Technology and Marketing Law
- RSS is the new radar, Information World Review
- What Is PageRank? A Guide For Searchers & Webmasters, Search Engine Land
- Women of Internet Marketing Wednesday Part 17, Search Marketing Gurus
- Quantcast Offers Alternative To Panel Web Measurement, MediaPost
- WPP May Buy 24/7 Real Media: What's It Mean?, MediaPost
- Alexa Attempts to Crush Statsaholic After Copying Its Advances, Stepforth SEO Blog
- SEM Pricing Models, Rimm-Kaufman Group
- How Should Web Analysts Spend Their Day., Occam's Razor
- Why Coding Is The Most Important SEO Skill, Yellow House Hosting
- iCrossing Finds Mobile Users Want Local Content, Screenwerk
- The Cluetrain Manifesto and What it Means for Your Business, 10e20
- What Social Media Did for USA Today, Pronet Advertising
- Blog SEO: Get Your Blog out of the Supplemental Index, ChrisG
- Social Bookmarks: Not for Bloggers Only, ClickZ
- Brands, SEO Threatened by Wildly Engaged Consumers, ClickZ
- Paid Links To Manipulate PageRank, Reuben Yau
Twitter Canada MD Kirstine Stewart to Keynote Toronto
ClickZ Live Toronto (May 14-16) is a new event addressing the rapidly changing landscape that digital marketers face. The agenda focuses on customer engagement and attaining maximum ROI through online marketing efforts across paid, owned & earned media. Register now and save!