Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Yahoo and Microsoft Planning Merger Talks?
A little unfounded speculation for a Friday: Microsoft is asking Yahoo to consider a merger.
- Yahoo Photos Shutting Down, But Who's Telling the Users?
Yahoo is shutting down its Yahoo Photos service, and encouraging users to migrate to its Flickr photo-sharing service, but they still haven't told their users.
- Is Microsoft Driving Low-Quality Traffic to its Search Ads?
Microsoft is running ads through IntelliTXT, the much-maligned inline text ad provider. Traffic from those ads does not seem to convert well for some.
- YouTube to Pay Top Users
Google's YouTube will begin paying top users for the video content they submit under a new revenue sharing partner program that will let the creators share in AdSense revenue generated by their videos.
- Local.com on a Roll
Local.com has announced new enhancements to its SERPs, days after it launched its Local Verified ad placement product and weeks after the LocalPromote landing page product launch.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Does Microsoft Need an Ad Network?, ClickZ
- Breaking: Yahoo To Shut Down Yahoo Photos In Favor Of Flickr, TechCrunch
- Why Microsoft + Yahoo! makes sense – and why it won't work, Charlene Li
- Microsoft Prevents Ask.com from Running Ads on Facebook?, ClickZ
- Does W3C compliance and accessibility impact your Search Engine Optimization, Graywolf's SEO Blog
- Web Metrics That Actually Add Up, ClickZ
- SEO: The Difference Between SEO and Search Engine Positioning, 15 Degrees North
- 6 Common Retail SEO Pitfalls (and How to Avoid Them)
- Back from WebSearch University, Google Librarian Central
This Year's Premier Digital Marketing Event is #CZLSF
ClickZ Live San Francisco (Aug 11-14) will bring together the industry's leading online marketing practitioners to deliver 4 days of educational sessions and training workshops. From Data-Driven Marketing to Social, Mobile, Display, Search and Email, the comprehensive agenda will help you maximize your marketing efforts and ROI. Register today!