Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Matt Cutts' Paid Links Update
The head of Google's Webspam team, has added some clarification to his post about Google's treatment of paid links.
- Starting a New Link Campaign
Good link building always starts with identifying the targets.
- Forget Demographics Google May Soon Offer Psychological Profiling
Google has submitted a patent for psychological profiling of users. The patent outlines the ability to profile game users by their chat conversations and other text-based interaction with the games.
- Is Segmentation Next Big Thing In Web Marketing?
It is an important element in the marketing mix, though at times a tricky one to apply to search.
- Tomi Poutanen Talks About Social Search
Eric Enge talks with the senior director of product management for Yahoo Answers and del.icio.us.
- The Greening of Search Engines
Call it a sign of the times, a cheap marketing ploy or both mixed together. Search engines are touting their environmental friendliness in many ways.
- Yahoo Being Sued For Faulty Ad Platform
This one should not get too far, and if it does Yahoo may as well get out of search.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Google Without Ads: Yecchy, Traffick
- Segmenting Search Intent, SEOmoz
- More Google SERPs Testing, Online Marketing Blog
- Are Search Engine Rankings Dead?, Online Marketing Blog
- Why does Google remember information about searches?, Google Blog
- Microsoft's Strategic Account Summit: Wooing Advertisers, ClickZ
- Dissecting Google's Supplemental Index, ClickZ
- MyBlogLog to Rebrand and Make Significant Changes, David Dalka
- We need better statistics..., Scobleizer
- More domains, more search, Information World Review
- The search engine that really hits the spot
- All “friends” aren't created equal! (why we need better relationship marking in social networks), Adam Lasnik
- When Google Goes Temporarily Insane, Search Engine Land
- Search Engine Friendly is NOT Search Engine Optimized, Search Engine Guide
- Recapping SEW Live: Columbus, Search Engine Guide
- Internal Departments & Your SEO Firm - A Play, Search Engine Guide
- Matt Cutts of Google Comments on "-950 Penalty" as "Over Optimization Penalty", Search Engine Roundtable
Upcoming Webinar: PPC Pause and Reflections for 2013
Thursday, December 12 - 2013 was a major turning point in search advertising. With Google's Enhanced Campaigns and Bing's innovative Smart Search capabilities in Windows 8.1, now is a great time to pause, reflect, and plan for the new year. Webinar attendance is free. Sign up today!