Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Yahoo Researcher Declares Semantic Web Dead
"There is simply no hope in enforcing a complete set of semantics for media (or content) annotation on the web as a whole."
- Interview with YouTube on Partner Program
Grant Crowell talks with YouTube's Head of Product Marketing Jaime Byrne about the expansion of their revenue-sharing partner program to select users.
- Google Planning Query Enhancements
The first is a technique that will add a supplemental query that Google's algorithm determines may return more relevant results. The second is cross-language information retrieval (CLIR).
- Google Experimental to Offer Sneak Previews
Leading-edge users can now sign up for tests of potential new features or interfaces.
- WPP Snaps Up 24/7 Real Media
Ad agency holding company WPP has acquired 24/7 Real Media for $649 million.
- New Local Search Site: LocalGuides
The site lets users create lists of favorite local businesses, then share those guides with other users.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- The Old Google Search Moves to AOL, Google Operating System
- Google Universal Search means what?, SEO Scoop
- Universal Search and Other Surprises from Google's Searchology, Out of My Gord
- The Tao of Linkbait Method, Cornwall SEO
- 'New' Google: Good Idea, Poor Execution, Marketing Shift
- What Makes Techmeme Tick? Inventor Gabe Rivera Explains, Wired
- Imagine Live Search - Microsoft's Test Site Launches, Search Engine Land
- Jakob Nielsen Sounds Off About Web 2.0... Again!, Read/Write Web
- Interview with Ask's Michael Ferguson, Out of My Gord
- Taking advantage of universal search, Google Webmaster Central Blog
- New Analytics, Calendar Features, Yahoo Search Marketing Blog
- Google goes back to the future with Universal Search, Don Dodge
- Yahoo Maps Get A Makeover, Search Engine Land
- The peril of Google's universal search, Valleywag
- Yahoo & Google's Mission Statements : Do They Connect?, Search Engine Journal
- Why, Hello There MSN Image Search!, SEOmoz
- People say Linkbait when they really mean Linkbait, Cornwall SEO
- Google's Universal Search Patent Application & Assigned Patents from Infoseek, SEO by the Sea
- Google Finally Catches Up with SEO, Small Business SEM
- Why Google Search will NOT rule the Universe!, ZDNet Digital Markets
- When Exact Match Isn't Exactly Exact, Beyond the Paid
- Google 3.0: What the Searchology update means to SEO, SEO Theory
- Could Gaming Social Media Sites Be A Legitimate Form Of Online Advertising?, Publishing 2.0
- Weigh in: What's the perfect search engine?, Powerset Blog
- Aligning Keywords And Landing Pages, Practical Ecommerce
- Top 10 Search Terms in 10 Categories, April 2007, ClickZ
- Summary of Perfect 10 Decision, Technology and Marketing Law
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Early Bird rates extended through Sept 19. Register today!