Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Chasing the Long Tail
Looking at the real search terms entered by people really reveals something about the human mind. And, man, the human mind is all over the place.
- Will Ad Targeting Change?
ow that the ad network/server companies are shifting around, we should make our online ad targeting dreams come true.
- Google Cracking Down on AdSense Arbitrage
Several AdSense publishers have received notice that their AdSense arbitrage sites are being kicked out of the program as of June 1.
- Indeed Testing Pay-per-Action Ad Model
Job search engine Indeed.com has been testing a pay-per-action (PPA) advertising model, which for recruiters means a pay-per-applicant ad model.
- SEW Experts: Ego Bidding Gone Wild
In today's Search Ads column, Tony Wright talks about the danger of ego-bidding and how to stop a client from bidding their business into the ground.
- Winning on Digg Podcast
Eric Enge and Neil Patel have created a second podcast focused on becoming a top Digg user, and how to get content to the Digg home page.
- Google Adds Neighborhood Search
Google has added a neighborhood search capability for 50 U.S. cities, catching up with sites like Ask.com, Trulia and Yelp.
- Who Said It...
After major ownership changes have been announced in the online ad business, let's try to match the players with these "unquoted reasons" for the moves.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Google Coop Embeds Gadgets in Search Results, Micropersuasion
- Dealing With SEO Pseudoexperts, ClickZ
- Google Denies New UK News Search Deal, Search Engine Land
- Now that Feedburner Story..., GigaOm
- aQuantive and the Ad Industry, MIX07
- Google AdSense disabling arbitrage publisher accounts as of June 1st, JenSense
- Search Engine Strategies Toronto: Crossing the Chasm, Traffick
- Calculating Search Rankings with User Web Traffic Data, SEO by the Sea
- Jimmy Wales: Google is secret, proprietary, closed. Search should be open., Rimm Kaufmann Group
- Don't Leave Footprints In The Sand, Evilgreenmonkey
- Google PaidLinks Data, DaveN
- moneysupermarket banned by Google for spamming?, Insider's View
- Relevancy: Google vs Yahoo, DaveN
- Internet Marketing – Bring Sales to Your Website With Methods Other Than Search Engines, 15 Degrees North
- Blue Hat Technique #18 - Link Saturation w/ Log Link Matching, Blue Hat SEO
- The Implications of Universal Search, SEO'Brien
- How to survive Google Universal Search ranking wise, Pandia
- Searchology Event Review With Pictures, Ramblings About SEO
- The Online Advertising Bubble: DoubleClick, aQuantive Deals Over-Priced?, Read/Write Web
- If You Could Ask the Search Engines Any Question and Get An Honest, Complete Answer... What Would it Be?, SEOmoz
- Did Microsoft go lose its head over aQuantive?, GigaOm
- Google May Launch Mobile Service In UK, TechCrunch
- Post-Acquisitions, Google & Microsoft Should Offer A (Free) Bone To Search Marketers, Search Engine Land
- Eric Schmidt at Personal Democracy Forum, ClickZ
- Search or Destroy, Threadwatch
- Google Custom Search Engines Will Not Have Universal Results, Search Engine Roundtable
- Making sense of Redmond's $6 billion buy, News.com
- Newspapers need to go hyper-local to survive, Don Dodge
Meet Your Favorite Search Engine Watch Contributors
Many of SEW's leading expert contributors will be at ClickZ Live, the new online and digital marketing event kicking off in New York (March 31-April 3). Hear from the likes of: Thom Craver, Josh Braaten, Lisa Barone, Simon Heseltine, Josh McCoy, Lisa Raehsler, Greg Jarboe, Dan Cristo, Joseph Kerschbaum, John Gagnon, Eric Enge and more!