Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- What Should Ask.com Do?
An interesting discussion has begun on several blogs this week considering what Ask.com should do to be successful.
- Microsoft's Berkowitz: Consider aQuantive Deal a Merger
At a JP Morgan Technology conference Tuesday (link to webcast), Steve Berkowitz, Microsoft's senior VP of online services, told investors that they should consider the company's $6 million purchase of aQuantive as "more of a merger" than an acquisition.
- Technorati Retools, Gets "Universal" Too
The biggest change is a shift away from searching only blogs to include more kinds of user-generated content, including photos and video.
- "Microsoft Does Not Need Yahoo Anymore" MSN Strategist Claims
With the purchase of aQuantive and its other advertising assets, Microsoft says it no longer needs to buy Yahoo to conquer the online advertising world.
- Google Buying Feedburner?
Sources have confirmed that Google is acquiring Feedburner for close to $100 million.
- Creating a Global SEO Strategy
If you have a worldwide presence, or plan to have one in the future, you should be thinking about SEO globally.
- Google Invests In Sergey's Wife's Company
Sergey Brin's new wife, Anne Wojcicki, co-founded a biotech start-up that just received $3.9 million in funding from the search giant.
- Local.com on a Roll II
Following its string of recent announcements, Local.com today unveiled a new mobile search product.
- Google Testing AdSense for Video
Google has announced a pilot with a small group of publishers to insert streaming video ads into publishers' video content.
- SEW Experts: Digging Deeper Into Google Analytics
In today's By the Numbers column, Eric Enge explores the subtle differences in the latest version of Google's metrics tool.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Yahoo deal not needed, Microsoft exec suggests, Todd Bishop's Microsoft Blog
- The man who owns the Internet, Business 2.0
- Duly Noted: Local Business Paid Search Tips, Traffick
- From Vertical To Universal To Holistic, Search Insider
- Made for “Text Link Ads” vs. Made for AdSense, Search Engine Journal
- Bad Neighborhood makeover and new SEO tools, SEO Scoop
- More on New York Times and Good SEO, Johnon.com
- Marketing B2B Websites: 20 Organic Ranking Factors to Consider, SEO Space
- How Will People Find Your Site If Search Engines Didn't Exist?, Half's SEO Notebook
- ShopLocal Zeros in on ‘Unique Shopping Solutions', The Local Onliner
- How Web 2.0 Affects SEO Strategy, ClickZ
- Internet Ad Frenzy - what's next?, Beyond VC
- A Brief History of Excite, McInblog
- Video search company, Blinkx, blows bubble with IPO, Venture Beat
- Choosing your anchor text for incoming links, Jennifer Slegg
- IAB Officially Details Outcome of Metrics Meeting, Mediapost
- Speculation Abounds On Microsoft's Next Ad Acquisition, Mediapost
- Q&A With Seth Godin, Founder & CEO Of Social Search Service Squidoo, Search Engine Land
- New Version of BlueOrganizer Launched - Semantic Web In Action?, Read/Write Web
- Google & Dell's Revenue-Generating URL Error Pages Drawing Fire, Search Engine Land
- Facebook Platform: The Road to IPO?, Read/Write Web
- PPC: So Easy an Idiot Can Do It, Pepperjam Blog
- What the Heck Is Google's Business Plan?. Marketing Pilgrim
- Silicon Valley move over? NYC bullish on next Internet wave, Digital Markets
- Yahoo Search Update Last Night, Search Engine Roundtable
Introducing... ClickZ Live!
SES Conference & Expo has merged with ClickZ to bring you ClickZ Live! The new global conference series takes on the identity of the industry's premier digital marketing publication, ClickZ.com, and kicks off March 31-April 3 in New York City. Join the industry's leading tech-advertisers in the advertising capital of the world! Find out more ››
*Super Saver Rates expire Jan 24.