Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Google Adds Content Network Transparency
Since its Content Network launched, advertisers have been asking Google for a way to get a better idea of where their ads appear, and get more control over the display of their ads on specific sites.
- Google Defends Data-Retention Practices
In response to an E.U. Article 29 Working Party investigation, Google has changed its data retention policies again.
- EveryZing – Beyond Podcasting
The multimedia search and advertising platform is extending their market offering beyond podcasts.
- Flickr Adding 7 Languages To System Today
The photo-sharing community hopes "to help the global Flickr community more easily explore, find, manage and share photos."
- Identifying a Google Penalty
Often when a site loses its search rankings suddenly, a webmaster may not know the cause.
- John Marshall Leaving Clicktracks
John Marshall, founder and CEO of Clicktracks is leaving the company.
- Younger Folks Like Ads More
It turns out that 18-34 year olds are not as opposed to being sold to as we all thought.
- SEW Experts: Web Site Architecture Structured for Success
Mark Jackson reviews the benefits of creating a search engine friendly information architecture prior to Web site construction.
- SEW Experts: Redesigning Your Small Business Web Site
Carrie Hill offers a checklist to help small businesses considering a site redesign know why, when and how to do it.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Location-Based Search? Patented! Owner Plans To Sue Everyone, Techdirt
- Insisting on Ethical Search Engine Optimization, Bruce Clay Blog
- Proof Google is Using Behavioral Data in Rankings, SEOmoz
- Context Sensitive Stemming for Web Search, SEO by the Sea
- Three AdWords Experts: Don't Let Google Optimize Your Campaign, Small Business SEM
- Google Content Placement Performance Report Rollout, Marketing Pilgrim
- Travelocity Hands Search Marketing Duties to iCrossing, ClickZ
- Untangling the Gordian Knot of Campaign Tracking, Part 2, ClickZ
- Google Does Site Specific Performance, One Step Closer..., Battelle's Searchblog
- Google Integrates Powerpoint Viewer Into Gmail, TechCrunch
- Search Ads & Contextual Ads Are Different! You Need To Treat Them Separately, Search Engine Land
- Is Google PageRank Still A Valid Marketing Tool?, 15 Digital Marketing
- How to Handle a Google Penalty - And, an Example from the Field of Real Estate, SEOmoz
- New Google Ranking Patents, SEO by the Sea
- Privacy Is Search's New Click Fraud, Search Engine Journal
- Are The Big Three Search Engines Xenophobic, Smart-Keywords
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Early Bird rates available through Sept 12. Register today!