Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Google Getting Serious About Lobbying U.S. Government
Google has stepped up its lobbying efforts in the last two years, moving from a single lobbyist in Washington to a staff of 12.
- Microsoft Upgrading, Adding Negative Keywords to Category Level
Microsoft adCenter will be improving the negative keyword tool to allow its use at the category level.
- Google Expands Pay-per-Action Ads
Advertisers choose how much they want to pay for a user to complete a pre-defined action like a purchase, newsletter sign-up, or other conversion.
- Yahoo Moves to Short Descriptions
Yahoo now requires advertisers to provide a short, 70-character description for all ads.
- Askville Update
The Amazon-owned Q&A service seems to be getting some traction in its first six months.
- Murdoch Wants to Trade MySpace for Chunk of Yahoo
Got to love the aggression of Rupert Murdoch. Buys MySpace and now wants to leverage it for a chunk of Yahoo.
- SEW Experts: Does Your Site Deserve Link Love?
Sage Lewis offers some examples of clever ways to go about getting links and making your ideas go viral.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- What Drives Local Search Directories?, ClickZ
- Online Brands Rush to Embrace Facebook's Widget Platform, ClickZ
- Learning From Microsoft's Error, Google Builds a Lobbying Engine, Washington Post
- News Corp explores swap of MySpace site for Yahoo! stake, London Times
- Two top Google engineers leave — to Benchmark Capital, VentureBeat
- When Choosing an eCommerce System, Remember the Search Engines, SEO by the Sea
- 5 Basics of Writing "5 Basics" Articles for SEO, Johnon
- Universal Templates and SEO for Universal, Metamend
- Listen up, (college) sports fans, Yodel Anecdotal
- Who should buy Yahoo? Handicapping 5 likely suitors, GigaOm
- This July: Try Google-Free Fridays!, Search Engine Land
- Changes at Innovectra, Search Engine Tigers
- Dex Gets a Web 2.0 Injection, The Kelsey Group
- SEO: Metrics That Matter, Practical Ecommerce
- Yahoo + Yang = Google + (Page + Brin)?, Search Insider
Meet Your Favorite Search Engine Watch Contributors
Many of SEW's leading expert contributors will be at ClickZ Live, the new online and digital marketing event kicking off in New York (March 31-April 3). Hear from the likes of: Thom Craver, Josh Braaten, Lisa Barone, Simon Heseltine, Josh McCoy, Lisa Raehsler, Greg Jarboe, Dan Cristo, Joseph Kerschbaum, John Gagnon, Eric Enge and more!