Want a snapshot of the day's search engine news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Human Input and Algorithmic Search
The subject of human edited search is hot again, perhaps because we're all getting a bit more sophisticated about the challenges faced by search.
- Yahoo Combining Search And Display
Yahoo has announced it is combining search and display under one department. Heading up this newly formed division of North American Sales is David Karnstedt.
- Local.com Gets Location-based Search Patent
The local search space is becoming a patent battleground. Local.com has been awarded the third local search patent to surface in the last month.
- blinkx launches contextual online video search ad platform
The video search engine's new advertising platform, AdHoc, is billed as "the first contextually relevant video advertising platform."
- Interview with blinkx on new video search distribution partnerships with Lycos, InfoSpace, and Real
Grant Crowell conducts an audio interview with the founder and CEO of blinkx, Suranga Chandratillake.
- Google May Stop GMail in Germany Over Privacy Issues
The German government's proposal to monitor and record email usage in their country has Google threatening to stop Gmail service to the country.
- SEW Experts: Can Google Analytics Be Evil?
Tony Wright, like many search marketers, has recommended that clients stay away from Google Analytics in the past. Should he change his tune?
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Millard Departure is not a “Good Thing” for Yahoo!, ContextWeb
- Lead Fraud (A Cousin of Click Fraud)--NetQuote v. Byrd, Technology & Marketing Law
- Yahoo Aims to Ease Ad Buying Process with Sales Restructure, ClickZ
- How to Speak English When Discussing SEO, YOUmoz
- The Future of Local Search in Europe, The Kelsey Group
- Mitch Kapor's Foxmarks To Leap Into Search World, TechCrunch
- In-House SEM – Limited Shelf Life?, SEO Chicks
- Collarity and the Implicit “Human Touch”, Collarity Blog
- Three Simple Ideas For Yahoo! Search Marketing From The Trenches, Finding the Sweet Spot
- Bringing SEO In House - Insight from the Experts Part 1, Web Analytics World
- Insider Thinks Google Won't Serve DoubleClick's ASP Customers, ClickZ
- Blogging for Search Engine Optimization, ClickZ
- Reprise Media Lands Microsoft Search Marketing Deal, ClickZ
- How Google Makes Money in 2007, SEO-space
- The missing key to great headlines, Distilled
- Linking to yourself on a client site is not SEO, Ogletree SEO
- The Benefits of CSS Over Table Based Design, Fresh Egg
- Predictive Queries versus Unique Searches, SEO by the Sea
- The SEO's Guide to Beginners, SEOmoz
- SEO Pricing & Costs - What Should You Charge / How Much Should You Pay?, SEOmoz
- Don't Put All Your Links In One Basket, Search Engine Land
Meet Your Favorite Search Engine Watch Contributors
Many of SEW's leading expert contributors will be at ClickZ Live, the new online and digital marketing event kicking off in New York (March 31-April 3). Hear from the likes of: Thom Craver, Josh Braaten, Lisa Barone, Simon Heseltine, Josh McCoy, Lisa Raehsler, Greg Jarboe, Dan Cristo, Joseph Kerschbaum, John Gagnon, Eric Enge and more!