Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Google AdWords Offers Impression Share Numbers
Google has launched a new feature in the AdWords interface, Impression Share - the percentage of impressions your ads see.
- Newsknife names top sources in Google News for environmental articles
While the impact of humans on the environment has been one of the big stories so far for 2007, that doesn't seem reflected in the environmental articles that appear in Google News.
- Bill Slawski Uncovers Patent Info About Google Quality Scoring
"A trio of patent applications from Google look at estimating the likelihood that an advertisement is a good one, in a method that goes beyond counting click-through-rates (CTR)."
- Google Pays $625 Million for Email Security Company
The purchase strengthens Google's ability to compete with Microsoft's Outlook product and allow them to market email services to businesses.
- Social and Portal Connections Underway
Weekend mumblings of social networks came from both Yahoo and Google.
- Yahoo, Microsoft To Change Privacy Policies
Pressure from the European Union apparently has Yahoo and Microsoft changing their privacy policies.
- Using Wikipedia to Improve Search Quality
A paper published by a Microsoft researcher discusses how the context of the use of a particular name in a web document can be compared to the context of the use of that name on Wikipedia.
- Google's VP Search Quality, Udi Manber, Interviewed
Eric Enge speaks with Manber about the future role of links in the Google search algorithm, in light of all the changes of late, including the move towards personalization.
- Google Webmaster Blog Talks About Flash
The post provides some helpful suggestions about smart ways to use Flash as part of your web design.
- SEW Experts: The Beginning of the Fragmentation of Search
Tony Wright ponders the evolution of search marketing from its heady first years to the competitive situation today. Can this be the beginning of the fragmentation of search?
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Optimizing for Universal Search, ClickZ
- Patent Applications on Estimating, Rating, and Using Quality Scores for Google Ads, SEO by the Sea
- Traditional Companies Need Not Fear Social Media, SearchRank
- Can Web Search Use Wikipedia to Understand References to Names?, SEO by the Sea
- Here Come the Domainers, Johnon
- Turning Blogging From Hobby to Career, Read/Write Web
- Google's Social Networking Projects, Google Operating System
- Doing Keyword Research? Here Are Some Resources To Help!, Search Engine Land
- Vendors offer free change of (search) engine, Information World Review
- Fixing Typos by Web Users, Without Raising Hackles, NY Times
- Wrong On Hyperlocal: Google And Web 1.0 Killed Backfence, Publishing 2.0
This Year's Premier Digital Marketing Event is #CZLSF
ClickZ Live San Francisco (Aug 11-14) will bring together the industry's leading online marketing practitioners to deliver 4 days of educational sessions and training workshops. From Data-Driven Marketing to Social, Mobile, Display, Search and Email, the comprehensive agenda will help you maximize your marketing efforts and ROI. Register today!